Only HDD's that are not in RAID go to hibernation mode?

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.
melgi
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Only HDD's that are not in RAID go to hibernation mode?

Post by melgi »

Hi all,

I have an AS5110T with 6 drives in a RAID 5 config and 3 other single drives. I have my NAS configured so that the drives go to hibernate when not active for a while. Through the AI Master app I regularly get messages that one of the single drives resume from hibernation, together with the time they were in hibernation mode. However I never get a message that the RAID went into hibernation. Does hibernation only work for non-RAID drives or am I missing something here?

Cheers,

melgi
orion

Re: Only HDD's that are not in RAID go to hibernation mode?

Post by orion »

I guess your RAID-5 is volume-1, right? There might be some processes that are working on this volume. There is a long discussion topic related to it:
http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=7563
There is a diagnostic tool that can monitor processes for disk R/W. However it's beta now. You can check it.
melgi

Post by melgi »

orion,

Thank you very much for your reply. My volume1 is indeed RAID5. I will check the thread you posted.
callifo

Post by callifo »

It works for any RAID type but from my experience, if you install most of the 3rd party apps, it doesn't work anymore.

These apps either access the array, or write logs to the array and hibernation wont work anymore. Transmission, plex, etc were the worst culprits.
melgi

Post by melgi »

califo,

Thanx for your answer. I will ue the new "Diagnostic tool" functionality with the latest firmware to see which programs are accessing the RAID and prevent it from going into hibernation mode.
melgi

Post by melgi »

It looks like since one of the recent updates of the ADM software version, also my RAID HDD's go into hibernation mode. I can see it from the logs that all drives go into hibernation mode. The ones in the RAID have a shorter period as I have several processes accessing the drives on a regular basis. Other drives that aren't accessed by processes regularly stay in hibernation mode for much longer. Looks like this functionality is now working as it should be.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”