Disk activity every 7-8 seconds (AS6204)

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

nero78
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Disk activity every 7-8 seconds (AS6204)

Post by nero78 »

I have the new as6204 and i noticed that it constant as accessing the disk every 7-8 second even when there is no activity on the network or the NAS. How come? Very irritating when you have the NAS in your bedroom and unnessicary wear and tear on the hdd's...
orion

Re: Disk activity every 7-8 seconds (AS6204)

Post by orion »

I think it's caused by disk monitoring process to check if disk is idle or not. The check does not do disk physical access.

I setup system with single disk, and setup data volume on the other disks with RAID. My system disk does not go to idle state, but the other disks will go to idle state (LED will blink very slowly). That could save power.
Anyway, I did not check which processes make my system disk wake up all the time. I'm fine with it.
sys

Post by sys »

Asustor has very good night mode for LED. You can set it in Setting/Hardware/System.
nero78

Post by nero78 »

orion wrote:I think it's caused by disk monitoring process to check if disk is idle or not. The check does not do disk physical access.

I setup system with single disk, and setup data volume on the other disks with RAID. My system disk does not go to idle state, but the other disks will go to idle state (LED will blink very slowly). That could save power.
Anyway, I did not check which processes make my system disk wake up all the time. I'm fine with it.
I does do physical access. I can hear the disks clicking... How can i check the disk monitoring process?
orion

Post by orion »

nero78 wrote: I does do physical access. I can hear the disks clicking... How can i check the disk monitoring process?
Then it should be caused by certain processes. I guess the disk monitoring process is actually checking disk state by the linux command: hdparm. However I believe you are trying to find which processes are accessing disks all the time, rather than disk monitoring process, isn't it? You can try to follow the topic: http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7449

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”