How to replace WD Hard Disk in existing Raid

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

jturnley
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: How to replace WD Hard Disk in existing Raid

Post by jturnley »

MikeG.6.5 wrote:hehe, more with putting things on someone else's hardware, which I frankly do NOT understand....

You are paying someone to keep your data secure, but their own documentation says by using them they retain the right to copy, delete or modify your data as they see fit without warning of them doing so. (read the EULA for most of these services.)

That's not backing it up, nor security. That's a crap shoot. You want off-site back ups, invest in a second NAS and mirror the two via rsync. Use externals and do a nightly back up, storing the externals off site.

this is physical control of YOUR data. And having that is 100% of data security issues. If you maintain your own physical control, and have it duplicated or triplicated, then failure is almost a null point. Relying on someone else to keep your data intact, even if they "promise" they will isn't reliable enough from a security stand point.
That's not the case with S3, which is why I mentioned it; they actually guarantee data security and integrity (in as much as anyone can in today's world) - their primary customers are enterprises (like where I work) and the level of scrutiny demanded by them is insane.

Even Gdrive/OneDrive/Dropbox is going to be a safer bet than a spinning drive you swap out/connect to USB3 in the sense of pure failure rate. Worst case for the cloud storage is someone hacks your account (likely your fault, not the provider), or they shut down the service, in which case you get some warning to pick a new one and send your stuff over there. Even though they hedge their bets with the stuff in the EULA, Google and Microsoft are not going to play fast and loose with customer data. The implications of a failure would be catastrophic, with a massive loss of customers (and income) from Office 365 and Google Docs, both of which ire directly tied to their respective cloud storage systems. MS, for example, makes hundreds of millions of dollars a year on O365 subs - it and Azure are literally their core business at this point. If they suddenly proved they couldn't securely and reliably store those customer's data, it would make the Xbox RROD scandal look like Microsoft Bob.

Or, you know, you can store your vital backups on a hard drive on your bookcase. No chance someone will bump it and knock it down and it never spins again - that never happens. :P
MikeG.6.5

Re: How to replace WD Hard Disk in existing Raid

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

My really important stuff gets backed up to three rotating external drives, with 2 of those drives stored off-site at all times. Media for Plex, well, I can always either reproduce, or re-acquire it... I got it the first time, right? :)

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”