USB port stopped working

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.
wingstyle
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

USB port stopped working

Post by wingstyle »

Not sure if this is where this should go, but this is the only hardware category I see.

I have an AS5202T NAS. It has two USB ports on the back and one on the front. I had a 4 port hub plugged into the NAS USB port 2 on the back. I had 4 hard drives connected to the hub. Everything worked fine for quite some time, and then the NAS no longer sees the drives. I did some troubleshooting and decided the USB port must have stopped working. I can plug the hub into USB port 1 on the front or USB port 3 on the back and all the drives show up again and work fine. Has anyone else had any issues with the USB ports? I have never had one go bad on any other device I have owned, and some of them are much older than this NAS. I can't find anywhere on the NAS to be able to see the USB ports to see if the NAS thinks they are working or not. Is there anyplace to see USB port status?
Nazar78

Re: USB port stopped working

Post by Nazar78 »

I have almost the same setup except my 5 external disks (4x3.5" HDD + 1x2.5" Sata) is in a powered 5 bay enclosure connected directly to one of the rear USB3 ports. The other rear port is connected to a powered (5V/2A/10W) USB3 4 port hub for Bluetooth, gamepads, UPS etc.

Are the 4 disks externally powered? Else the USB3 port might not be able to withstand the power draw (900mA/4.5W) from the non-powered hub (assumed) and 4 disks. I'm also not sure if your port has burned out, usually if there's not enough power, the connected peripherals just don't power on. Try shutdown the NAS unplug the power for few minutes.

You can ssh into the NAS then look through your dmesg, `dmesg|grep -i usb|less`, use the arrow keys to navigate and `q` to quit.

Or for a better view, install Entware from the App Central, ssh into the NAS then install the usbutils.

`sudo opkg update && sudo opkg install usbutils`

Then run `lsusb -t` to see the USB tree.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
ilike2burnthing

Post by ilike2burnthing »

Quick test, if you haven't already done it, plug a USB 2.0 flash drive in the suspected dead port. Is it detected?
wingstyle

Post by wingstyle »

Thanks to both of you. My hub is powered and worked for a long time. It also works on my PC and the other two USB ports on my NAS. I use a backup (FreeFileSync) to backup files I access on multiple devices, to one of the hard drives and it hadn't updated in a few days. That, and the fact I couldn't access the HDD, is how I found the issue. I had to change the target after I changed the USB port, but all is working now on that front. The USB port that wasn't working is still not working. I have not shut down and unplugged. I'll try that. I have plugged one SSD into the port and it didn't work.
wingstyle

Post by wingstyle »

I shutdown and unplugged my NAS for a few minutes. After powering back up, I connected a single HDD to the USB port (#2) that was not working. I then connected my 4 port powered USB hub to the NAS port #2 and it worked. Not sure what was wrong, but turning off the NAS and removing power seemed to have fixed it. Thanks for the suggestion Nazar78.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”