How to combine 2.5GbE ports?

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.
Seanb
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

How to combine 2.5GbE ports?

Post by Seanb »

My 67025 has 2.5GbE ports that combine for 5 Gb. How do I use that? Do I just plug them both into the same switch and then turn on the future in the NAS software?
father.mande

Re: How to combine 2.5GbE ports?

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Seanb wrote:My 67025 has 2.5GbE ports that combine for 5 Gb. How do I use that? Do I just plug them both into the same switch and then turn on the future in the NAS software?
Aggregation (not backup feature) shortly require that the two end points was able to manage the aggregation and to define the physical ports (on administrate switch for ex.) used.

So you need administrable switch and cable identified ...
and remember that aggregation don't offer same as a unique link with 5 Gbs ... one session use one link (except is case of error and move to backup the faulty link)
so ... for a unique stream (share access for ex.) the max is always 2,5 Gbs , but if you have simultaneous stream ... each can use a different link, but a link can have high usage and the other perhaps few ... At end the bottleneck is generally the disk access or the lack of memory ... so do survey and adapt config in case ...

If you add network admin and services packets ... you must have 80% of 5 Gbs if all is in the best configuration and usage.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
Seanb

Post by Seanb »

I don't understand. Can I use any switch for aggregation? That is, run two cat 6 cables from the two 2.5 Gig ports on the NAS and plug them into the same switch, such as a Netgear Prosafe GS116. Or, is that switch a bottleneck and I need to buy a switch that supports 2.5 gig? Or, do I need a switch that supports both 2.5 gig and also 2.5 gig aggregation? Thanks for responding to all my questions!
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Switch MUST support LACP (IEEE 802.3ad) ... and must be manageable (not your GS116 T.B.C.) to configure LACP in the switch (LACP Link Aggregation Control Protocol)

The real speed is the lowest available ... target switch at 1 Gbs ... reduce 2.5 Gbs to 1 ... so you need a multi-speed (1,.,5 and sometimes 10 Gbs) or full 2.5 Gbs switch a Gigabit switch even with LACP never go faster than the link.

ALL element of configuration MUST be the same ... speed, duplex mode, flux control and MTU for all the link in the aggregation .

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
Seanb

Post by Seanb »

Thank you!

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”