M2 Drives

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.
Seanb
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

M2 Drives

Post by Seanb »

I have 2x 500 GB Western Digital SN700 NVMe drives for my 6702t NAS (12 GB RAM). Assuming these fit, would I see a benefit for using these as cache for sharing photos, backing up computers, streaming music, and streaming videos (home use)? Or, should I use these for storage? Any thoughts and use cases I ought consider?
father.mande

Re: M2 Drives

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Seanb wrote:I have 2x 500 GB Western Digital SN700 NVMe drives for my 6702t NAS (12 GB RAM). Assuming these fit, would I see a benefit for using these as cache for sharing photos, backing up computers, streaming music, and streaming videos (home use)? Or, should I use these for storage? Any thoughts and use cases I ought consider?
I was never convinced by SSD caching compare using at first volume SSD and hard dusk
... at boot cache don't reduce boot elapse time when SSD as disk do it
... application cache have no real interest compare to direct SSD access
... SSD cache run twice with HDD cache, so only for very large simultaneous request SSD cache is better
... for streaming (correct) HDD is enough
... write cache is dangerous due to double cache without possible synchronization

My conclusion (and usage) is SSD as volume1 and good HDD (not green) with correct cache and high speed
BUT it's my opinion share only ... with myself ... so consider your usage and choice.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
Seanb

Post by Seanb »

Hi, So, before I power anything up, I can install the HDDs (Ironwolf) and the two 512 GB M2 drives and then on power-up set the M2 drives in Raid 1 as primary? Is 512 GB enough? I can still install my photos and such on the volume 2 Ironwolf HDDs, right?
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Seanb wrote:Hi, So, before I power anything up, I can install the HDDs (Ironwolf) and the two 512 GB M2 drives and then on power-up set the M2 drives in Raid 1 as primary? Is 512 GB enough? I can still install my photos and such on the volume 2 Ironwolf HDDs, right?
Nobody have THE response ... just some choice
my own configuration is near your choice :
2 SSD 500GB in Raid 1 as volume0 and 1 (so ADM base)
... for ADM, configuration, application and current working share ... (it's share use for quick response where it's require, ex. when I share new photos or new movies ... I use share in SDD up the time where this are less used, at this time I move it to HDD always available for streaming and share but less used ...and after some delay I move it again out of share in archive.
... ... it's to explain to you my philosophy ... so my choice.
2 HDD in Raid 1 as other volume and share ...

My only recommendation (if you choice this architecture) is to start and install ADM with only the SSD installed, and when all works as expected, plug disks (HDD) and do the volume configuration ... so with more choice.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”