Questions on Adding an Expansion Unit

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

mdof2
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Questions on Adding an Expansion Unit

Post by mdof2 »

Greetings-

Currently running an AS204TE that has been through a drive upgrade in the past, and could stand another if growth continues.
Looking at the Asustor AS6004U expansion units, this may solve a few issues for e and make the task a bit smoother.

Question:
1. Can a RAID volume span the AS204TE and the AS6004U devices, or will the connection between them not support this. (I believe the answer is no for this but wanted to confirm)
2. Can I install new drives in my AS204TE, initialize the system with new drives, then simply plug in the old RAID volume in the 6004U and have it be recognized in the NAS.
Essentially pulling the drives, putting them aside for a day, doing a fresh initialization with the 204TE with new (larger) drives and then brining my old (original) RAID volume back online in the 6004U box.
If (y), then; Anything troublesome about that scenario?

Appreciate any input from the local experts-

Cheers-
Nazar78

Re: Questions on Adding an Expansion Unit

Post by Nazar78 »

1. No you can't span across USB, not officially for Asustor at least unless certain unofficial modification is done.

2. You should be able to access the data from your old disks on the AS6004U. But the apps needs to be reinstalled and its data/config manually migrated specific to its own method.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
mdof2

Post by mdof2 »

No apps. Only data in the RAID volume that would move to the AS6004U
mdof2

Post by mdof2 »

After going back and forth with Asustor support (which, let me tell you, is like pulling hens teeth) their reply was no and no.
1. I mostly expected. No big deal. I can easily get around this.
2. surprises me as both QNAP and Synology do this pretty much out of the box. I tried explaining my scenario several times, and the robot replying to my request for more information simply replied 'no'.

So, QNAP it is!

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”