Memory problem with GoodRam and AS5304T

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.
imd_guru
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Memory problem with GoodRam and AS5304T

Post by imd_guru »

Hello,

My AS5304 comes with 4GB ram module, so i want to upgrade to 16GB ram with 2 8GB modules, so i bought 2 GoodRam 8GB modules GR2400S464L17S/8G (DDR4 SGB PC4 - 19200 SODIMM), but the problem is:

1) both GoodRam modules (8+8) NAS do not boot
2) any GoodRam module + original module (8+4 o 4+8 any combination) NAS boot and i have 12GB RAM

What is the problem ?

Thanks.
itsjero

Re: Memory problem with GoodRam and AS5304T

Post by itsjero »

One module might actually be bad. It does unfortunately happen.

I myself just got this very same NAS and installed corsair "Vengeance" ram. 2x8gb 2400mhz so id get 16gb, which the NAS sees and uses.

The part# is CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16

I got it off amazon for $60 bucks which was cheaper than much plainer and less cool looking ram lol.. not that it matters.. i just found it funny that plain green stuff ran over $70 when the cool all black ram ran 58$.

So might be a bad module. The ram i purchased as listed above works great, but thats without saying when talking about corsair. Ive used corsair for many things in PC building over the decades ive done so.. and ive never had a part from them be DOA or fail. So i continue to use them as it simply just works when it comes to their stuff. Power supplies, watercooling, cooling fans, ram, etc. It just works.

If you put one ram module in of the 2 you bought, and it wont boot, then thats how you troubleshoot if you have a bad stick. If it does boot, try the other.

If they BOTH boot, id try to install both making sure to seat both properly in the ram slots and boot. If it doesnt work, switch places between the sticks. If it still doesnt boot, than there is still some issue with the ram.

My guess though is that one of the sticks of ram you have is bad and is making it so it wont boot/run since the stick is bad and wont pass the initial boot/bios check.

best of luck. And again if you return what you got, i personally vouch for the ram i bought since i know for sure that brand and setup works for the 16gb "trick"

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”