USB3 to 2.5G NIC possible for AS-204TE?

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

SPOinNS
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

USB3 to 2.5G NIC possible for AS-204TE?

Post by SPOinNS »

I'm contemplating upgrading my home network to 2.5G from 1G. This may involve using a USB3 to 2.5G NIC adapter on several machines. While I was researching the subject it occurred to me that my AS204-TE might not be capable of using such an adapter.

My understanding of these adapters is that they can be fairly CPU intensive and I'm not sure the 1.2Ghz dual core Atom processor in the AS204-TE is up to the job of running the adapter and performing it's simple NAS duties at the same time.

Asustor has stopped development of ADM at 3.5.7.RKU2 in the AS-2XX series and I suspect these machines are fully deprecated re: support.

Does anyone have practical experience with this situation? I'd appreciate any input and/or suggestions.

The AS204-TE has no duties other than storing and serving files on the LAN. Recently I've built a new NAS based on Unraid and it will become my primary NAS. I hope to keep the Asustor running until it dies because it does it's job remarkably well. Then again, I don't tax it too much.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”