AS6602T hardware upgrade from AS202TE

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.
CrackerJack
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS6602T hardware upgrade from AS202TE

Post by CrackerJack »

I am wondering if anyone upgraded their NAS and simply inserted the data drives from an earlier NAS into the new NAS and you are ready to go? I would thing that being they are both Asustor NAS's that this would be a possibilty if the ADM was the same version. Any thoughts?
orion

Re: AS6602T hardware upgrade from AS202TE

Post by orion »

I did it before (AS-304T to AS6604T). After transfer disks, NAS is ready. However I still need to open AppCentral (some of apps needed to be updated). I'll suggest you to update ADM to the latest one, then proceed this action.
CrackerJack

Post by CrackerJack »

Thanks, I thought it would be an easy process. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as my new box will be Tuesday. I already have 2 WD Black NVME drives. I'm looking for a huge boost in speed, but I recently read that the M.2 drives don't really add any speed. Can you comment on your experience concerning gains in speed?
orion

Post by orion »

I did not buy M.2 devices yet. So I don't have comments about it. However, as far as I know, it should be much faster because it's PCIe interface. I guess it's hard to feel the speed based on network access (network speed is much lower than M.2 speed). But I believe the internal speed is much faster (I mean internal file accesses). And one more thing is that M.2 is quiet. I use SSD as volume-1 and HDDs for volume-2. That configuration makes volume-2 idle (motor spin down) easily. If I add M.2 devices, I'll change volume-1 to M.2 (I'm not interested for cache function), then I release one disk slot to expand my data volume...

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”