Risks of using a hard drive not listed in the compatibiliy list?

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.
ace106
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Risks of using a hard drive not listed in the compatibiliy list?

Post by ace106 »

I have an AS6604T nas and I also have two 12TB WD Red Plus drives. They are not listed in the compatibility list on the Asustor website so I'm wondering what risks I'd face using them in the nas?

Will using them in a raid 1 create an issue? Would adding them to a raid 10 with other drives that are in the compatibility list create problems?

I see that the 6TB WD Red Plus is listed but no larger size Red plus drives are. They do list a 16TB WD Red Pro drive as being compatible.

I've tried them out in raid 10 and things did seem to work but I did have an odd issue when moving files to and from the nas. A couple of times it wouldn't allow a file to move so I had to skip it but then I'd try again and it would go. Another time it wouldn't let me delete a file. It said it was still in use but I was not using it. Eventually after many attempts, it let me delete it.

I'm not sure if those issues are related to the hard drives or if they are just software bugs.
orion

Re: Risks of using a hard drive not listed in the compatibiliy list?

Post by orion »

"Disks not listed in the compatibility list" means that those disks are not tested. I believe those should be working too.
As you mentioned odd issues, I guess it's related to OS on your PC (file locked by apps).
BobN2Tech

Post by BobN2Tech »

I have a AS1104T, with 4-x4TB drives in a RAID5 configuration. 1 of the 4TB drives (is a 2.5" Seagate HDD ST4000LM024) is not listed on the Asustor compatibility chart. The other 3 are the Seagate Ironwolf 4TB and are listed on the compatibility chart. I believe the only reason is that it is 2.5" and not 3.5" size. I am using 2.5 to 3.5" drive adapter, so it fits fine. What risk am I taking or performance degradation would occur by continuing to use that 2.5" drive? If it fails, then I can get a new drive (compatible), and because it's a RAID5, can I assume it will rebuild with the new disk and not lose any data?
orion

Post by orion »

BobN2Tech wrote:I have a AS1104T, with 4-x4TB drives in a RAID5 configuration. 1 of the 4TB drives (is a 2.5" Seagate HDD ST4000LM024) is not listed on the Asustor compatibility chart. The other 3 are the Seagate Ironwolf 4TB and are listed on the compatibility chart. I believe the only reason is that it is 2.5" and not 3.5" size. I am using 2.5 to 3.5" drive adapter, so it fits fine. What risk am I taking or performance degradation would occur by continuing to use that 2.5" drive? If it fails, then I can get a new drive (compatible), and because it's a RAID5, can I assume it will rebuild with the new disk and not lose any data?
I believe it's fine. Asustor only tested some disks (I believe it's impossible to test all models in the world) and put them into the compatibility list. Drives that are not listed do not mean they cannot work correctly. If your 2.5" disk is working fine in your NAS, that should all right. By the way, the speed of 2.5" drive usually be slower (motor spin speed is slower). It implies that the throughput of your RAID5 volume might be slightly slow.
BobN2Tech

Post by BobN2Tech »

Orion, yes that's what I thought. It just bothers me that the Asustech support, says that can't support my questions about the issues I have experienced, because I have an "incompatible" drive. I realize the 2.5" are little slower, but I've seen that the max disk writes and reads of the NAS don't even come close to the drives specs on the 3.5" drive. The max I've seen on my network is about 25Mb/s and if I connect an external USB drive to the NAS, I will see up to 132Mb/s write speeds, lower than the specs on the Ironwolf.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”