additional nas or as 6004u

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

kdwg1308
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

additional nas or as 6004u

Post by kdwg1308 »

hi, i'm running an as204te.
i only use it for media storage so raid isn't an issue, but it is now almost full.
bearing in mind i have a very limited knowledge of networking :) can anyone give advice on,
is the 6004u suitable for a 204te?
is it capable of 4k through plex?
would i be better off with a as1104t?

many thanks

ken
orion

Re: additional nas or as 6004u

Post by orion »

Yes, you can adopt AS6004U to expand NAS disks. However you can only create another new volumes in AS6004U (you cannot combine NAS internal disks with AS6004U disks to form a volume). And the bandwidth between NAS and AS6004U is only one USB bandwidth (U2 is 480Mbps, U3 is 5Gpbs). And yes, it's capable to deliver 4k stream (max 51Mbps).

Of course, as1104t is a good choice too.
kdwg1308

Post by kdwg1308 »

thanks orion,
so i get a 6004u with a 8tb drives and connect to my current nas the adm will show 8 volumes instead of the current 4? i can just create shares and point plex to the files on whatever share and it will pick them up ok?
the bandwidth thing means nothing to me :roll: but i take it its not an issue for streaming movies from plex.

many thanks

ken
orion

Post by orion »

You can create one volume that configure 4 disks as RAID-5 or create 4 volumes with separate disk in AS6004U. It totally depends on your choices. After created volume(s), you can create shares under those volume(s).
Data_Dan

Post by Data_Dan »

First off, sorry for hijacking this thread. I have an AS7004T with 4 8TB 5400rpm drives in a RAID5 Volume. I want to add an AS6004u that I purchased a while ago and create a second volume. I plan on purchasing 4 16TB 7200rpm drives. I am concerned that if I try to expand the capacity of the existing volume with faster rpm drives I might run into a problem. My question is do I expand my current volume with the new 16TB drives and put my old drives into the AS6004u or should I put the new drives into the AS6004u? Once the volume has been created in the AS6004u can the drives be moved into another Asustor NAS in the future if my current NAS fails?
orion

Post by orion »

Data_Dan wrote:do I expand my current volume with the new 16TB drives and put my old drives into the AS6004u or should I put the new drives into the AS6004u?
If you plan to put the old drives into AS6004U and put the new drives into NAS slots, it should imply you'll re-initialize NAS (lose your data).
Data_Dan wrote: Once the volume has been created in the AS6004u can the drives be moved into another Asustor NAS in the future if my current NAS fails?
That's an interesting question. I did not try it before. I guess you should send a support request to asustor to get the answer.
Data_Dan

Post by Data_Dan »

orion wrote:
Data_Dan wrote:do I expand my current volume with the new 16TB drives and put my old drives into the AS6004u or should I put the new drives into the AS6004u?
If you plan to put the old drives into AS6004U and put the new drives into NAS slots, it should imply you'll re-initialize NAS (lose your data).

Data_Dan wrote: Once the volume has been created in the AS6004u can the drives be moved into another Asustor NAS in the future if my current NAS fails?
That's an interesting question. I did not try it before. I guess you should send a support request to asustor to get the answer.
If I'm expanding my current NAS volume with new larger drives why would I have to re-initialize the NAS? I plan on wiping the old drives and putting them into the As6004u and creating a 2nd volume after the new larger NAS volume has been created.

I'm thinking it might be easier to just put the new larger drives into the AS6004u instead of waiting a week or more for the expansion of the NAS volume to complete. In the future when the original NAS fails and I move the drives into it I guess I could still use the NAS drives and leave the AS6004u drives where they are but if I was to get an 8 drive NAS I might want to install all of the drives into that NAS.
orion

Post by orion »

Data_Dan wrote: If I'm expanding my current NAS volume with new larger drives why would I have to re-initialize the NAS? I plan on wiping the old drives and putting them into the As6004u and creating a 2nd volume after the new larger NAS volume has been created.
OK, I misunderstood what you mean. I thought you are removing old disk directly and put them into AS6004U. There should be no issues if you expand volume-1 with larger disks first.
Data_Dan

Post by Data_Dan »

orion wrote:
I contacted support and the drives from an AS6004U cannot be installed into a NAS so once they are used in an AS6004U. They have to stay there.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”