AS1104T

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

AndyM
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS1104T

Post by AndyM »

I see the new AS1104T has, according to the marketing literature, the ability to handle drives up to 18 TB but none are listed on the compatibility charts. Any other way of finding out what works? I assume a Seagate or WDD would work but I noticed on some NAS models only the Pro versions listed.
Nazar78

Re: AS1104T

Post by Nazar78 »

Any modern HDDs should work with modern NAS. Just avoid SMR drives for raid. Those charts aren't complete to test every HDDs out there. Either tested by NAS manufacturers or claimed by several public submission. I have over 10 decade HDDs that still works in the NAS. Usually people will be more concerned if their device can support higher TBs that's determined by the firmware/bios. Some older controllers only max 2TB. Some currently max 10TB.

Those "Pro" are at times a form of marketing but yes you should go for HDDs meant for NAS as they're rigorously tested to last but even they can fail.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Thanks Nazar. I would like to think if it something is in bold print on the marketing and it is a proper NAS drive it SHOULD work. But, being a little bit of a skeptic, I always look to their "Compatibility List" before I acquire something, especially if it's a little larger ticket price. Good to know your experience.
CQDan

Post by CQDan »

Nazar78 wrote:Any modern HDDs should work with modern NAS.
That's what I thought too and what do you know, AS1102T does not support Toshiba 16TB HDDs. Truly disappointing, Asus!
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

CQDan wrote:
Nazar78 wrote:Any modern HDDs should work with modern NAS.
That's what I thought too and what do you know, AS1102T does not support Toshiba 16TB HDDs. Truly disappointing, Asus!
Advise to contact Asustor support. Perhaps a future bios/firmware upgrade would work with the 16TBs.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
CQDan

Post by CQDan »

Thanks. Just submitted a ticket. Hopefully a fix soon.

Tried to sell on Buy&Sell but no bites. Doubt it would sell even with a 20% discount LOL!
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

I put 16 tb Seagate pros in it and they work just fine. Must be a Toshiba issue.
CQDan

Post by CQDan »

Apparently, only Seagate Ironwolfs are listed in the compatibility list:
https://www.asustor.com/service/hd?seri ... 0TB&class=

I never paid much attention to hdd compatibility list when it comes to my Qnap and Synology NASes. Didn't think it would be an issue with Asustor. Oh well.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”