CPU Upgrade? (AS5202T) - CPU usage constantly at 99% !

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

COO-589
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

CPU Upgrade? (AS5202T) - CPU usage constantly at 99% !

Post by COO-589 »

So my ASUSTOR AS5202T comes with a Dual-Core Intel Celeron J4005...

Can I swap this out for a Quad-Core Intel Celeron J4105 / J4125, or even a Quad-Core Intel Pentium Silver J5040?

I constantly see my CPU usage at 99% and my Memory around 55% - the most CPU usage in the activity monitor is the NvrEmbed process (PID 22136) constantly running between 55% & 75% with the lesser usage processes being no more than spikes of 20% or all under 10%. Can anyone tell me what this process is and why it's using so much CPU??

My NAS has an additional 2GB of RAM (sourced from ASUSTOR) for a total of 4GB and has a pair of Seagate ZA1920NM10001 NAS SSDs and I chose the BTRFS over the EXT4 File System in RAID 1.

It has motion detection snapshots saving from 5x IP cameras (all only 2MP jpegs and no videos), then is only used for network file storage and access from a PC or a smart phone or the occasional camera live stream view via the ASUSTOR app on a phone. I don't have a local display or anything connected to the NAS itself. The usage is so low out of what the system should be capable of, so I don't understand the constant high CPU usage of 99%

Can anyone tell me if such a CPU upgrade is possible or what my NAS' potential issue is and how to solve it?
Nazar78

Re: CPU Upgrade? (AS5202T) - CPU usage constantly at 99% !

Post by Nazar78 »

These are SoC so it's soldered and can't be upgraded.

NvrEmbed seems to be the one streaming your IP cams. 5x IP cams doing motion detection capture I guess it's reasonable for the CPU usage. Albeit only 2MP jpegs, the process still needs to stream from the cams. You can try troubleshoot by putting few cams offline see if the usage drop. I'm not sure about your cams but check see if you can offload the motion sensing capture directly on the cam then sent to the NAS instead of being captured then processed on the NAS.
Last edited by Nazar78 on Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
COO-589

Post by COO-589 »

Ah yes, I see now that the FCBGA1090 "Socket" is soldered (BGA). I should've gotten a higher model such as the AS6604T/AS6602T or even the AS5304T that has a more capable quad-core processor even if I don't use all bays

My cameras are doing the motion detection processing, directly saving the snapshots to a directory on my NAS over the wired network. So there should be minimal to no CPU usage on my NAS for IP camera motion detection

I unplugged my PoE switch to see what happened to the CPU usage and NvrEmbed process... The NvrEmbed process dropped to 0% usage and the CPU usage sat at around 65% with the "geocode" process sitting at around 50%
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

I suggest you directly contact Asustor Support on this perhaps there's ways to optimize the app. I'm not using such apps but custom scripted some task using ffmpeg to do rtsp 1080p stream copy of 15mins segments each for a specific retain period say 31 days. This uses very minimal CPU like 1-4% each since there's no encoding involved.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”