Transfering ADM system to SSD

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

DutchFIX
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Transfering ADM system to SSD

Post by DutchFIX »

Hi all,

I have a old 604T and i got my hands on an more recent 6404 model.
The migration process should not be an issue in normal circumstances.

Now i have had the thought of also doing some stuff with Home assistant with docker and such ... just the fiddle around with it and looking if the NAS can be used for this.

For performance reasons i thought it could be a smart choice to use an NAS SSD (WD) for exclusively the ADM system and the apps and leave media/documents to be stored on the normal HDD.
Maybe this is easy when you start from scratch but in my case i have data and an ADM system on the HDD's to migrate.

So my questions :
Is it even wise to use the SSD for ADM and apps or is it not even possible or with no real performance gain.
Can i move ADM to another disk after migration (in my case the SSD) or do i setup my new 6404 with a new ADM install and then move the drives ?

Can somebody help before i wreck it all :)
Last resort is to just backup al the data and start over on the new NAS

Thanks !
orion

Re: Transfering ADM system to SSD

Post by orion »

If you are talking about ADM OS, it locates onto every disk (mirrored). However, it's good to create volume-1 in SSD. Your apps are located onto volume-1. Most of apps will access their own configuration / log frequently. So, if you create data volume (volume-2) with traditional HDDs, NAS can put this HDDs into sleep mode when NAS is idle.
Mondas

Post by Mondas »

I am also interested in the question: If I create a completely NEW volume1 on SSDs, can my OLD volume1 be retained with its data (i.e.as volume2)? Or am I looking at a start-fresh-and-restore-from-backup scenario? Thanks for any advice on this!
orion

Post by orion »

Mondas wrote:I am also interested in the question: If I create a completely NEW volume1 on SSDs, can my OLD volume1 be retained with its data (i.e.as volume2)? Or am I looking at a start-fresh-and-restore-from-backup scenario? Thanks for any advice on this!
No, data on volume-1 will not be retained. You'll need to backup data first.
Mondas

Post by Mondas »

@orion Thanks for the confirmation. Luckily my data is already backed up because I reckon just restoring it will take around 7 days elapsed, if I had to back it up as well that would have been two weeks!!! It's a shame this couldn't be better handled since the data is already "there".

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”