Wireless USB Keybord & Mouse with NIMBUSTOR 2 (AS5202T)

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

krofire
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Wireless USB Keybord & Mouse with NIMBUSTOR 2 (AS5202T)

Post by krofire »

I purchased a Wisfox 2.4G Wireless Keyboard and Mouse to use with my AS5202T. The wi fi dongle goes into a USB port. I have tested this on a windows machine. The wireless devices all work fine. However when I plug the dongle into the AS5202T nothing happens. In ADM/External Devices it shows nothing connected.

This is a big problem because I have to use a keyboard for the ASUSTOR Portal and Plex. Otherwise I am unable to log into Plex. I have downloaded the AiRemote to my Android Mobile but this has no keyboard support that I can see. Screen shots of the app in various places show a keyboard icon on the bottom button bar but my app does not have that.

So, how do I use the Portal with a Keyboard and Mouse? I have been round all the support documentation over and over again but other than a brief mention that you can use a "USB Keyboard and Mouse" no further information is available.

How do I use Portal without a keyboard? Can it be used with the TV keyboard?
krofire

Re: Wireless USB Keybord & Mouse with NIMBUSTOR 2 (AS5202T)

Post by krofire »

OK. I made some progress on this. Sadly the USB wireless keyboard and mouse do not work on the NAS. I could get them to work on LG Smart TV however this only controls TV functionality and not the Portal.

So I tried again on the AiRemote. I discovered that I could get to the keyboard. But only if the cursor was placed in a text box. And then you have to scroll through the button bar on the app to finally find the keyboard. By this way I was finally able to log into Plex so I am sort-of happy. I have a way forward.

Yet my question remains: to use the ASUSTOR Portal exactly which USB Keyboard and Mouse devices are compatible please? (I can find no listing for such USB devices anywhere on the Asustor web site. Maybe I am looking for the wrong thing?)
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

On my Asustor AS5202T, I used
... USB receiver Unifying in front USB
... Unifying wireless keyboard K340
... Unifying wireless mouse M235

I also used Android remote control from my smartphone
And when I want a full control on Asportal ... I used APKG Xvnc_server ... with any Vnc client (F.Y.I. I also use an HDMI plug (pass-through) to get access to Asportal even screen is not connected ... even software solution can exist but are limited)

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
krofire

Post by krofire »

Thankyou.

So, in your experience, it is Logitech hardware that has proven compatible?

Does anyone know how we are meant to know this compatibility? I find it hard to believe that we have to find this out through trial and error? Logitech good/Wisfox bad?
XtractorFan

Post by XtractorFan »

I've just purchased an AS5304T and I'm exploring the possibilities....
I've a Logitech Harmony Elite and Hub that controls all my other AV equipment, so I'd like to add it to my Harmony remote setup - but it looks like the NAS doesn't have an IR receiver.
Post by father.mande » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:17 pm

Hi,

father.mande - where did you get the USB receiver - the only one I can see in the Asus Store is 'out of stock' and all other internet searches have drawn a blank.
Can anyone suggest an alternative?
Just ordered a FLIRC - in the hope that is supported.
Thanks
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
XtractorFan wrote:I've just purchased an AS5304T and I'm exploring the possibilities....
I've a Logitech Harmony Elite and Hub that controls all my other AV equipment, so I'd like to add it to my Harmony remote setup - but it looks like the NAS doesn't have an IR receiver.
Post by father.mande » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:17 pm

Hi,

father.mande - where did you get the USB receiver - the only one I can see in the Asus Store is 'out of stock' and all other internet searches have drawn a blank.
Can anyone suggest an alternative?
Just ordered a FLIRC - in the hope that is supported.
Thanks
As I know all Asustor NAS with HDMI output AS50, AS52 or AS53 have an IR receiver, but managed specifically by Asustor and NOT as a standard IR receiver with device ...
If you test on other system than NAS with a multipurpose IR receiver, you can get scancode ... but all is irrelevant in the Asustor NAS .. so you can use only remote control provide by Asustor.
except if you can add an IR USB receiver on NAS and manage it by yourself.

USB receiver in my message is for connection of a keyboard and mouse compatible ... it's Logitech product ... so always available.

AND yes it's difficult to get usb IR receiver ... and you have to manage by yourself the configuration (including kernel module for some of them) ...
... BUT on ebay you can get some model like : Tsdx-IR14 ehome USB RC6 Récepteur infrarouge MCE Media Center Récepteur

Due to the fact that I.R from Asustor seems to use keyboard mapping (through xdotool tool) it's possible to use alternative by using smart phone
... Android with droidmote or home remote control (require only a ssh connection), etc. etc.

Philippe.
NB a good idea is to ask the support, they have more information ... than I can get ...
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”