AS6510T compatible fans ?

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

DeepAnger
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS6510T compatible fans ?

Post by DeepAnger »

I think there are 2 x 120 mm fans in this NAS and I find them noisy. At auto or low speed they don't cool enough.
What type of compatible fans should I buy ? (3 pin, 4 pin, PWM ? connector type ?)
orion

Re: AS6510T compatible fans ?

Post by orion »

The original FAN should be very good actually (at least from my opinion). I'll suggest you to check a solution that provided by sksbir: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=8948
DeepAnger

Post by DeepAnger »

Thank you but how can you possibly know the noise that these fans produce on my NAS ?
I did not say that the noise was only at high speed. Even at about 500 rpm, the case vibrates and the sound changes when I press my hand on the top of it.

I do not intend to play with old scripts made for another NAS. I did not buy this NAS to fix asustor software. This auto mode is not good : the fans were kept just above 500 rpm while my disks were close to 50°C. What are they waiting for to fix their software ?

So, you did not reply to my question : what fans are compatible (size, number of pins, min / max speed, CFM, etc.). I guess I'll have to open it and see by myself.
orion

Post by orion »

I don't indeed know that. I believe no one knows that if you do not disclose it. Vibration might come from FAN or disks. You'd better to clarify it.
And I don't know the FAN spec. So I think you can only send a support request to asustor for it.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

The vibration and noise should be from your disks. Try booting up the nas without the disks and observe. If it's exhibiting the same behavior even without disks, then you might have a dud fan. If it's still new you might consider exchanging with the store if possible or rma. I ever removed the fan for cleaning but in many years building PCs I've never actually try to find out its exact specs other than the 120mm size, 12v and 3 pins which is quite common. Think Asustor is specifically using Y.S. Tech 2600rpm chassis fan full specs here http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayIS ... spheader=1 so you can try find a better fan?

As for the speed, Asustor didn't include disks temp in the equation. The script (which actually is just a pwm control command) is useful if you want to temporarily blast full 2600rpm but using it as auto has its draw back, the disks will be kept awaked. I'm using my own version just to blast during heavy tar pigz nightly backups.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
DeepAnger

Post by DeepAnger »

I can't remove the disks now. But the worst noise comes from behind. On my AS6510T on high, the reported fan speed is 1819/1809RPM; medium 1220/1205RPM; low and auto 534/534RPM. And the disks, HGST HUH721212ALN604, never hibernate.
I have opened a ticket on Monday for the fan noise.
DeepAnger

Post by DeepAnger »

I have been able to remove all the hard disks (after adding SSD to fix the never hibernate bug). The very annoying high pitched noise comes from the very small fan, the one in the power supply I guess.
3 months after their last e-mail, no news from asus support center (#38198). This has been a huge waste of time.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”