Memory compatibility AS6604T

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

MadDogDean
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Memory compatibility AS6604T

Post by MadDogDean »

Not sure on the Crucial, but from everything I gleamed online, it needs to be Single Bank.

And unless you already have the modules, the PNY is about $40 cheaper at Amazon.

Cheers
zumbi

Post by zumbi »

MadDogDean wrote:Not sure on the Crucial, but from everything I gleamed online, it needs to be Single Bank.

And unless you already have the modules, the PNY is about $40 cheaper at Amazon.

Cheers
I have put an order for one PNY module in Amazon but in the current situation not sure that they will be able to deliver it to Russia where I am. In the local stores here there is a lot of different vendors available but but it seems we have to be very accurate in the choice. Maybe someone may put here any results about recent memory upgrades for this storage?
MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean »

Wish you all the best to find some memory that works.

The PNY at Amazon
PNY Performance 16GB DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz (PC4-21300) CL19 (Compatible with 2400MHz or 2133MHz) 1.2V Notebook/Laptop (SODIMM) Computer Memory RAM – MN16GSD42666
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YNF3KY4?re ... tails&th=1
16GB single bank works flawlessly.

I installed the 2nd 16GB first (the easily accessible one) and rebooted. All was ok.
Then I dismantled the whole NAS to replace the 1st module. All has worked fine, no hiccups, hangups or crashes.

32GB singing like a canary :)

Cheers
zumbi

Post by zumbi »

MadDogDean wrote:Not sure on the Crucial, but from everything I gleamed online, it needs to be Single Bank.
can you please explain a bit more about Single Bank and how to identify such memory plate?
MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean »

I can't tell you the difference, all I know is that the memory we need is Single Bank (not sure if there's a visual difference or not)

The memory you look at should specify Single Bank.

Cheers
zumbi

Post by zumbi »

Colleagues, I have a bad news from my side. I was able to find such PNY module but it does not work with my NAS. Maybe it is broken maybe not but I am not able to test it somewhere. I tried to install it in both slots but result the same system stop on the first booting stage.
zumbi

Post by zumbi »

MadDogDean wrote:I can't tell you the difference, all I know is that the memory we need is Single Bank (not sure if there's a visual difference or not)

The memory you look at should specify Single Bank.

Cheers
If it is not too hard for can you please check one thing inside your device? During the play with memory Near main memory slot where we have factory memory I found a label "B2" just directly on the motherboard. I suspect this is MB revision and maybe we have different compatibility list due to a revision.

UPDATE:
It seems B2 is not a revision and just a part number for identification but from the right side of the memory slot that we have factory memory I can see label MB.AS6604T V1.2. It seems here we have HW revision number. Can someone with extended memory check its revision and put here their memory p/n? It will not take a lot of time from you, just power down NAS and remove disks you will be able to see everything.
zumbi

Post by zumbi »

It seems I am writing here to a abyss but I will provide some update. I was able to find a laptop and test my PNY memory module and it as not working at all. Also I was able to get 8GB module from SKhynix and it was no issues with it. Now I can see 12 GB of RAM.
MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean »

zumbai, sorry for your trouble. Haven't been around the last few days.

On one hand, the 2x 16GB modules I put in my AS6604T have worked absolutely perfect. As ADM and the Asustor apps are not of the quality and variety I expected, I think my 32GB are overkill and wasted for this application.

Perhaps I will look at either a QNAP or Synology later this year to replace my Lockerstor. I find the collection of apps is very limited and not very progressive. That is the one disappointment I have with this unit :(
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hello All,
I recently purchased an AS6604T, using recommended 4X Seagate 4TB. I just purchased a Crucial 4GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM
CT4G4SFS8266 (https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgr ... -(as6604t)) and installed.

First boot after adding was normal but System Info still showed 4.00 GB. Shut it down and reseated module. On restart system seemed to hang with initial message, but without any drive LED activity. The system did not seem to be proceeding with the boot process, so I held the On/Off button until it shut down. I removed the Crucial memory, then restart was normal.

The memory I purchased is listed as compatible on the Crucial website, but I am wondering if it is incompatible with the stock module already installed (Ie. paired memory needs to be matched), or does it need a longer first boot to initialize.

I am hoping someone has some experience with this that they are able to share.

Thank you,
Steve

Hello again,
I double checked the pn on the memory module against my order and the website to confirm that it was correct, then tried it a third time. The unit booted normally and now shows 8.00 GB. Don't give up trying if this is an issue being experienced.

I plan to run Ubuntu on VirtualBox for downloads which I have done successfully with a USB drive and laptop. Allows a fresh OS for each session, with data maintained on virtual drive(s) storage between sessions.

Regards,
Steve
Last edited by SteveH on Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”