Media player can't find / connect to NAS

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Nazar78
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Media player can't find / connect to NAS

Post by Nazar78 »

Also we don't know your network setup and what you have installed on the AS5304T that could be conflicting with each other flooding the broadcast that might confuse your Blu-ray player. Why do you need more than one DLNA service?

Start by stating your router brand/model, switches, all its connected devices brand/model/IP, same goes for your android TV and Blu-ray player. We need details.

You initially said there's no issues accessing from Android tablets and phones, but access through what? DLNA? This would make us wonder if the issue is with your Blu-ray player. But then you talked about Kodi which can easily connect to the AS5304T using CIFS. We also need to know what steps you have taken suggested here in order to give you more advise which I've not yet seen from your replies.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
ddalley

Post by ddalley »

sksbir wrote:Hi
- Check that application "UPnp media server V1" ( NOT V2 ) is installed and running.
Why?
sksbir wrote:- you must also configure Upnp media server from it's own icon from NAS desktop, and add paths to contents/ check that already added paths are still here .
Please explain. I have never seen a "NAS desktop", to know what you mean by this. I have the AiMaster app installed and I have yet to see a way of doing what you described. I have access to its file system through Android devices, but I have yet to see a "NAS desktop".
sksbir wrote:You must also check in advanced that Upnp server is listening on the good interface. It's just impossible that something was accessible without doing that.
Many things are possible. I have not knowingly checked that a UPnP server was listening on a good interface before.

Like I said, I have had access to this NAS before without doing anything special. Now I don't.
ddalley

Post by ddalley »

Nazar78 wrote:Also we don't know your network setup and what you have installed on the AS5304T that could be conflicting with each other flooding the broadcast that might confuse your Blu-ray player. Why do you need more than one DLNA service?
The network consists of a TP-Link Archer C7 router (latest firmware version) and the NAS is connected to it through a Trendnet 8-port switch. I have consoles and other media player devices on an all-wired network. The SONY Blu-ray player is a BDP-S5100. The image (above) shows its desktop. I am only dealing with issues of this Blu-ray player, for now.
Nazar78 wrote: You initially said there's no issues accessing from Android tablets and phones, but access through what? DLNA?

Probably. Until now, I only bought DLNA compliant devices, so that there would be no compatibility issues, (but DLNA.org doesn't exist any more). So either DLNA or UPnP. Except for the Android TV box, they are not wired.
Nazar78 wrote: This would make us wonder if the issue is with your Blu-ray player.
Which raises the question: why does the Asustor send out TWO paths to itself. That was unexpected. One, shown in the image above, has a generic icon. The other displays the Linux penguin, but it is missing in my image. Have I enabled some sort of file system, service, or protocol that would display two icon links?

Remember, this Blu-ray player has allowed access to the NAS before.
Nazar78 wrote: But then you talked about Kodi which can easily connect to the AS5304T using CIFS. We also need to know what steps you have taken suggested here in order to give you more advise which I've not yet seen from your replies.
I am waiting for steps to deal with this SONY player first. I am expecting to get another relatively new SONY Blu-ray player (because SONY devices had DLNA) soon, but it hasn't arrived yet. I should be able to compare issues when I have it.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

ddalley wrote:Which raises the question: why does the Asustor send out TWO paths to itself. That was unexpected. One, shown in the image above, has a generic icon. The other displays the Linux penguin, but it is missing in my image. Have I enabled some sort of file system, service, or protocol that would display two icon links?
The question goes back again to you which you haven't answered, what's installed on the AS5304T? Is there any other DLNA services on your network that might relay the AS5304T? Again I asked for IPs because your attached photo (meaningless to us) shows only one AS5304T but you mentioned you saw two. Are you connected to both LAN port on the NAS?

Just my opinion, your Blu-ray player was since 2013, DLNA was a decade before it and compliant devices are complicated (go Google them). Not to say they don't work well these days but most has already switched over to streaming like Plex, Emby and such. I've ditched DLNA long ago as most device I tested they don't support my 100+Mbps 10bit HEVC collections. I have a very simple but effective setup, one media streaming server reversed proxied on the AS5304T and many clients (Smart TVs/PCs/Phones/Tablets) streaming from it either locally (Wifi/Wired) or over the internet.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
ddalley

Post by ddalley »

Today is another day, so results are different. Now both icons are displayed by the player. I did nothing but turn on the player.

https://i.postimg.cc/R0nY6BG7/20200724-235410.jpg
ddalley

Post by ddalley »

Nazar78 wrote:most has already switched over to streaming like Plex, Emby and such. I've ditched DLNA long ago as most device I tested they don't support my 100+Mbps 10bit HEVC collections. I have a very simple but effective setup, one media streaming server reversed proxied on the AS5304T and many clients (Smart TVs/PCs/Phones/Tablets) streaming from it either locally (Wifi/Wired) or over the internet.
And how can Plex and Emby help me with DVD/Blu-ray players?
ddalley

Post by ddalley »

I believe that I have resolved the issues with my network.

It looks as if my ISP attempted to update their MODEM/router and failed. I am now using the THIRD independent router in a month, as a result of odd errors most likely caused by the screwed-up MODEM. It was updated a second time and, since then, everything on my network seems to be behaving as it should be.

Thanks for your patience and help.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”