It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:38 pm
All times are UTC + 8 hours

Expansion unit for AS1002T

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Expansion unit for AS1002T

Postby sandro_rocha » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:28 am

Good Morning. Is there an expansion unit compatible with the AS1002T? I use it as a media server but I want to centralize all documents. Which brings me to the second question: the two NAS disks are in Single Volume; if it is possible to install an expansion unit with four bays, would it be possible to configure these four new disks to RAID 0 or RAID 1?
sandro_rocha
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:49 am

Re: Expansion unit for AS1002T

Postby orion » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:56 am

The expansion unit should be AS6004U which is USB interface https://www.asustor.com/en/product/AS6004U. However it can only work as separate volume, ex: volume2 in your case. And yes, it can be RAID-0, RAID-1 or others.
User avatar
orion
 
Posts: 2787
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 11:09 am

Re: Expansion unit for AS1002T

Postby sandro_rocha » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:02 pm

I did not understand. The two disks on the NAS are Volume 1 and Volume 2, configured as Single. In this case, can the four disks of the expansion unit be in RAID or must they be configured as Single as well?
sandro_rocha
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:49 am

Re: Expansion unit for AS1002T

Postby orion » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:11 pm

OK, I thought you configure the internal disks as RAID-0 or RAID-1. If you configure as single disk mode, that volume1 and volume2. The expansion unit should be volume3, volume4... It means that you can set expansion unit as single disk mode, or RAID-0 or RAID-1 or RAID-5 or RAID-6. There are many combinations. For example:

RAID-0 with 4 disks -> volume3.
RAID-0 with 2 disks and RAID-1 with 2 disks -> volume3 and volume4.
RAID-5 with 4 disks -> volume3.
Single with 1 disk and RAID-5 with 3 disks -> volume3 and volume4.

You cannot expand volume1 by using the disks on expansion unit.
User avatar
orion
 
Posts: 2787
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 11:09 am

Re: Expansion unit for AS1002T

Postby acdcking12 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:18 am

Is this the case for any hardware NAS that uses the expansion hardware?
acdcking12
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:03 am

Re: Expansion unit for AS1002T

Postby orion » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:06 am

acdcking12 wrote:Is this the case for any hardware NAS that uses the expansion hardware?

No.
User avatar
orion
 
Posts: 2787
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 11:09 am

Re: Expansion unit for AS1002T

Postby ninecats » Fri May 15, 2020 3:33 am

I will borrow this thread for a question. I am currently running 3 x 4tb discs on a 1004v2 and I must say I am very happy with this NAS. I currently run RAID5 and is thinking of going up to 4 discs with RAID 10. Now, putting a fourth disc in the NAS will I automatically be able to choose RAID 10 after it's been activated (that's what happened when I went to RAID 5 IIRC)? Second question, if one disc fail, is it automatically going back to RAID 5 or any other order, like JBOD, in the mean time until I install a new fourth disc?

Best
Christian
ninecats
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:03 am

Re: Expansion unit for AS1002T

Postby orion » Fri May 15, 2020 10:11 am

ninecats wrote:I will borrow this thread for a question. I am currently running 3 x 4tb discs on a 1004v2 and I must say I am very happy with this NAS. I currently run RAID5 and is thinking of going up to 4 discs with RAID 10. Now, putting a fourth disc in the NAS will I automatically be able to choose RAID 10 after it's been activated (that's what happened when I went to RAID 5 IIRC)? Second question, if one disc fail, is it automatically going back to RAID 5 or any other order, like JBOD, in the mean time until I install a new fourth disc?

Best
Christian

No, you cannot do that (RAID-5 to RAID-10). I guess you must misunderstand RAID-10 (it's not 5 + 5 = 10). Anyway, asustor only supports volume expansion in this way: https://www.asustor.com/en-gb/online/College_topic?topic=352
User avatar
orion
 
Posts: 2787
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 11:09 am

Re: Expansion unit for AS1002T

Postby ninecats » Mon May 18, 2020 1:31 am

orion wrote:
ninecats wrote:I will borrow this thread for a question. I am currently running 3 x 4tb discs on a 1004v2 and I must say I am very happy with this NAS. I currently run RAID5 and is thinking of going up to 4 discs with RAID 10. Now, putting a fourth disc in the NAS will I automatically be able to choose RAID 10 after it's been activated (that's what happened when I went to RAID 5 IIRC)? Second question, if one disc fail, is it automatically going back to RAID 5 or any other order, like JBOD, in the mean time until I install a new fourth disc?

Best
Christian

No, you cannot do that (RAID-5 to RAID-10). I guess you must misunderstand RAID-10 (it's not 5 + 5 = 10). Anyway, asustor only supports volume expansion in this way: https://www.asustor.com/en-gb/online/College_topic?topic=352

Thank you, that makes sense. Adding a fourth disk to a three disk RAID 5 solution would still be RAID 5 albeit four disks?

Well I am considering to move to RAID 10 when adding a final fourth disk, I guess I have to re initialize the disks and volymes completely before I can do that?
ninecats
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:03 am

Re: Expansion unit for AS1002T

Postby orion » Mon May 18, 2020 10:41 am

ninecats wrote:Thank you, that makes sense. Adding a fourth disk to a three disk RAID 5 solution would still be RAID 5 albeit four disks?

Well I am considering to move to RAID 10 when adding a final fourth disk, I guess I have to re initialize the disks and volymes completely before I can do that?

Yes, it will keep RAID-5 if you add the new disk into this volume.
Yes, you'll need to "destroy" the original volume. You should backup your data first externally. Then reinitialize NAS to set to RAID10.
User avatar
orion
 
Posts: 2787
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 11:09 am

Next

Return to Hardware Compatibility

  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot post attachments in this forum
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest