As1602t max size for each bay

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Svejdam
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

As1602t max size for each bay

Post by Svejdam »

Hello, I plan on buying as1602t, i will be using it mainly to stream movies to tv (using plex). My question is use raid 0? What is the maximum size for this nas? I read it should be 6TB of each bay. Could I buy 2tb and 10tb disk? Or do they need to be the same size, 6+6TB? I also intend to upgrade the ram to 2x4GB.

Newbie here, thank you for your explanation and answers
father.mande

Re: As1602t max size for each bay

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Svejdam wrote:Hello, I plan on buying as1602t, i will be using it mainly to stream movies to tv (using plex). My question is use raid 0? What is the maximum size for this nas? I read it should be 6TB of each bay. Could I buy 2tb and 10tb disk? Or do they need to be the same size, 6+6TB? I also intend to upgrade the ram to 2x4GB.

Newbie here, thank you for your explanation and answers
First Raid 0 is TOTALLY insecure for your data ... it's the worst choice except if you have static file totally synchronised in another NAS (or server)
... Raid 0 write file by block split on the different disks (losing ONE disk lose ALL data) ... so ALL disk must have same size or larger lost all space over the smaller disk size (in NAS it's partition not disk ... but same)

To have a little more security (not real) you can use JBOD or single ... JBOD fill each disk (any size) and when a disk is full continue on next ... so losing a disk loose all the files inside ... but others disks stay accessible (so if disk 1 crash large lost ... smallest for disk at end of the chain
same for single but it's you that manage access on each disk ... so you know where are your files (not really in JBOD)

summary based on your example (size is always lower because Asustor A.D.M. keep some partition for its internal usage (swap, system, etc.)
2TB + 10 TB in Raid 0 = 4 TB max (minus the Raid reserved space in each disk and space reserved by ADM)
2TB + 10TB in single or JBOD is 12TB (minus the space reserved by ADM)
6x6TB = 35TB (minus the Raid reserved space in each disk and space reserved by ADM)

... BUT lot of other Raid mode can be used ...

BUT remember you are the Master in your castle ... so it's YOUR choice ...

Link to Asustor documentation : https://www.asustor.com/online/online_help?id=29&lan=en
don't hesitate when you have question to read the documentation, the F.A.Q. and the case study provide by Asustor on its Web site.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”