AS6404T questions regarding 4k streaming & CCTV

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

paperclips
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS6404T questions regarding 4k streaming & CCTV

Post by paperclips »

Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing AS6404T for home use. I have limited knowledge in this area but i'm determined to get this up and running myself.

What I require from the NAS - I want 6 UHD Hikvision cameras going back to the NAS via a POE switch. I also want to be able to stream 4k movies to a samsung tablet from the other side of the world.

Is the above possible with the AS6404T and if so can these tasks be completed simultaneously.

Kind regards,
orion

Re: AS6404T questions regarding 4k streaming & CCTV

Post by orion »

As far as I know, asustor provides 4 free licenses for IPCam. You'll need to buy extra 2 licenses. You'd better to make sure that your IPCam are the items within the compatible list (visit asustor official web site).

To stream 4k movies around the world, basically it's workable. However network bandwidth should be key checking point. NAS -> home gateway -> ISP -> internet -> ISP -> another home gateway -> samsung tablet. Normally youtube servers only deal with half of this path. If there are lagging issues, you'll need to find out what's the problem by yourselves.

By the way, if you are talking about resolution conversion on the fly, I'm not sure if this model can do 4k conversion. You can write a inquiry to asustor to check it. It seems that AS53xx is more capable on multimedia functions.
MadPup

Re: AS6404T questions regarding 4k streaming & CCTV

Post by MadPup »

Streaming 4K movies "across the world" would be a challenge for even the largest streaming content providers. For one, Netflix recommend "a steady internet connection speed of 25 megabits per second or higher". Also the highest resolution Samsung table is 2560x1600 which falls well short of 4K (3840 × 2160). Your best bet would be to transcode your movies onto portable storage. A 256GB uSD card can be had for under $40. High quality 720P looks great on a tablet. At 2GB/hour that card would hold over 50 movies.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”