AS5034T cannot detect 2-HDD caddy

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Mr.F
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS5034T cannot detect 2-HDD caddy

Post by Mr.F »

I'm now running the Nimbustor 4 after delivery a couple of daya ago. I'm copying my files across but the speed via the network is pretty slow. So I'd tried to connect my two HDD caddy to the USB port but the NAS can't detect it. My search for the caddy on External Devices, File Explorer and Backup & Restore was futile.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
orion

Re: AS5034T cannot detect 2-HDD caddy

Post by orion »

USB storage device should be quite common and should work. Not sure if yours is a special one. It's hard to tell what's the problem without more detailed information (actually hard to get detailed info). However, if the network throughput should be around 100MB/s if your network is 1GbE. You can check if it's correct or not (both your PC and NAS connections).
crazynas

Post by crazynas »

Hi Mr.F,
Your model name is wrong. it should be AS5304T.
Mr.F

Re: AS5304T cannot detect 2-HDD caddy

Post by Mr.F »

orion wrote:USB storage device should be quite common and should work. Not sure if yours is a special one. It's hard to tell what's the problem without more detailed information (actually hard to get detailed info). However, if the network throughput should be around 100MB/s if your network is 1GbE. You can check if it's correct or not (both your PC and NAS connections).
I should explain for those who don't know that the caddy is a docking station for hard drives without enclosures. Most of my files are stored in such hard drives.

You are correct, it should work as it connects to my laptop with no issues and reads it as two individual drives. But it doesn't with the Nimbustor for some reason.

The transfer rate from the caddy over network is a painfully slow 5Mb/s hence my attempt to directly connect it to the NAS via USB.

If all else fails, I might have to purchase another caddy. My current one is by Windstar so I would have to check with Asustor which brand of caddy is compatiable.
Mr.F

Post by Mr.F »

crazynas wrote:Hi Mr.F,
Your model name is wrong. it should be AS5304T.
Typo but thanks! :)
orion

Re: AS5304T cannot detect 2-HDD caddy

Post by orion »

Mr.F wrote: I should explain for those who don't know that the caddy is a docking station for hard drives without enclosures. Most of my files are stored in such hard drives.

You are correct, it should work as it connects to my laptop with no issues and reads it as two individual drives. But it doesn't with the Nimbustor for some reason.

The transfer rate from the caddy over network is a painfully slow 5Mb/s hence my attempt to directly connect it to the NAS via USB.

If all else fails, I might have to purchase another caddy. My current one is by Windstar so I would have to check with Asustor which brand of caddy is compatiable.
If I were you, I'll check network issue first. 5Mb/s (are you sure it's "b", rather than "B") is not acceptable. After all, network access should be your activities normally. Besides, the thought-put of USB docking station varies on different models...
Mr.F

Post by Mr.F »

Isn't the MB and Mb the same? If it's not then it's the former.

Asustor Support's response was that they don't have any docking station on their compatibility list.

I may have to check Amazon's return policy and order a few different brands to try out and see if any of them work.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Mr.F wrote:Isn't the MB and Mb the same? If it's not then it's the former.
MB is generally for Mega Bytes ... Byte = 8 bits
Mb is for Mega Bits ... so 100 Mbits is ~ 12.5 MBytes for ex.

Take care only for disk capacity ... factor use can be 1000 and not 1024 ... so 100 GB is decimal value 10 000 000 000 Bytes and not 107,374,182,400 (power 1024)

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”