More RAM than supposed to

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.
ketebarbo
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

More RAM than supposed to

Post by ketebarbo »

Hello!
I have an AS-604T. The model is supposed have a maximum RAM capacity of 3. Because I had a 4gb laying around I thought "Why not try it out?". Now, according to System information I have 5gb RAM. So now I wonder if I really have 5gb or still just have 3gb in reality but info shows 5. Which of them is it?

Hoping for an answer
sys info.PNG
sys info.PNG (7.02 KiB) Viewed 4628 times
orion

Re: More RAM than supposed to

Post by orion »

Did you add an extra 4GB DRAM? Or replace the existed DRAM (1GB?) with a 4GB?
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

The memory capacity depends of multiple factors :
1 possibility of the chipset and bios/efi to manage hardware memory
... generally it's relative to the CPU capability ATOM can support up to 8 GB
... BUT provider (Intel) can limit the size officially authorized for segmenting market (ex. the Celeron J1800/1900 (I speak about it because used by NAS) officially support 8 GB but you can in reallity up to 16 GB but not supported by Intel)
2 possibility of the peripheral associated ... some hardware extension can used only a limited size of memory (for D.M.A. direct memory access)
... generally it's some (ex. SGX but provide as Intel) integrated graphics cards or some E_sata even Lan controllers ...
3 capability of the O.S. used ... ex. 32 bits O.S. can address 4 GB (minus reserved areas) ... so 3 GB
... the more memory (after 4 GB) is view by hardware (Bios/Efi) but not accessible directly by the O.S. (directly, because some piece of code can use this extended memory using a paging mode ... but ??? )

So the first thing is to identify your O.S. (32 or 64 bits)
Then read processor capability and reserved memory ... have a look to Bios / Efi

If all seem said : "Yes you can use more than 4 GB" ... use tools to test (eat) the memory and see if it not crash after using more then 3 GB or 4 GB
... a 3 GB limit is always due to 1 GB reserved memory ... generally (if possible) deactivate I.G.P. (graphics) permit to used fully the 4 GB .

In all case, remember that you lost support and guaranty if you go out of Asustor specificity
Philippe.
N.B. you can get interesting information using dmidecode
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
ketebarbo

Post by ketebarbo »

Yes, I added 4GB to the existing 1GB.
Thanx, Philippe, for your extensive answer.I'll look it up...

Cheers

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”