HDD Bad Block (Ref. 5051) AS3302T-4EF0

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Gadifer
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

HDD Bad Block (Ref. 5051) AS3302T-4EF0

Post by Gadifer »

Hello,

I am new to NAS. I purchased a AS3302T-4EF0 along with two Seagate IronWolf 6TB NAS Internal Hard Drives HDD - CMR 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 5600 RPM 256MB Cache for RAID Network Attached Storage. I first set them up per the initialization defaults and all seemed well. Then I noticed they weren't in a RAID configuration which is what I wanted. I reset everything to factory defaults and started a manual initialization. The NAS sees both drives but when I start the initialization for a RAID 1 configuration I get a HDD Bad Block (Ref. 5051) message. I have followed the instructions to remove both drives, restart the NAS, reinsert the drives and start the process again but with the same result. I tried again switching the drives into different slots. Same result. Is there anything I can do other than sending the HDD back? How can I identify at this point which is the bad one?

Thanks,

Marc
Nazar78

Re: HDD Bad Block (Ref. 5051) AS3302T-4EF0

Post by Nazar78 »

You can SSH into the NAS as root with password default "admin", then run the command `dmesg|less`. Scroll through to find the errors if it's on /dev/sda or /dev/sdb.

If you're unsure about terminal commands, easiest way is to try initialize the disks separately. Try first initialize disk #1, go to the Storage Manager->Drive then select the disk, Disk Doctor and start the Bad Blocks Scan. If there's no issue then shutdown and swap to disk #2 and repeat.
I first set them up per the initialization defaults and all seemed well.
The above Bad Blocks Scan could also be accomplished when you can get both disks to appear in the Storage Manager.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Gadifer

Post by Gadifer »

Thanks. But I can't get into ADM so can't run Storage Manager. This is happening at the very beginning of initialization as if I'm starting from scratch...plug in the NAS, insert hard drives, then run initialization. It stops right away after reporting the HDD Bad Block.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Can you repeat this setup?
I first set them up per the initialization defaults and all seemed well.
If not try only with one disk, the ones that failed is the one you need to exchange.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”