EX2 Ultra to Lockerstore AS6702T - Hard Drive Question

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

MindOfMcClure
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

EX2 Ultra to Lockerstore AS6702T - Hard Drive Question

Post by MindOfMcClure »

Hello,

New to both Lockerstore and the forum but have been using ASUS mother boards for over 25 years.

Question: Can I take the (2) 4TB Drives that are currently running in my EX2 Ultra and just shut it down and move them to the AS6702T and boot it up to the ADM screen and go through the setup? Or will this kill the data on my drives?

Appreciate everyone's help. I read the article on the Asustor website https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colle ... ?topic=343 but it was really not clear if this was only for upgrading from a old Asustor NAS to a newer version or if it also worked that easily coming from another brand, like my EX2 Ultra.

Thanks again,
-Alex
Nazar78

Re: EX2 Ultra to Lockerstore AS6702T - Hard Drive Question

Post by Nazar78 »

It doesn't kill the data on your drives but you'll not be able to access the data natively because the NAS uses a specific partitioning quite similar to WD's. Those existing partitions requires to be dropped (done on a different PC/device) in order to be used on the Asustor disk bays. That means you would also advertently destroy your data. The only way it would work if:

1. You put the disks in a USB enclosure and those disks are not part of a RAID array member, i.e. simple single volumes. Then the NAS should be able to auto mount the volumes/FS i.e. EXT4, FAT32, NTFS, exFAT, Btrfs, HFS+ etc.

2. Unofficial mods are possible to load the disks even with RAID array, be it in the bays or USB enclosures, just need few tweaks from the terminal, YMMV depending on how you do it, not recommended for most end-users unless they know what they're doing.

3. Of course the typical way, get some new disks, initialize them in the Asustor, setup everything, then transfer your old data from the old NAS over CIF/NFS etc.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
MindOfMcClure

Re: EX2 Ultra to Lockerstore AS6702T - Hard Drive Question

Post by MindOfMcClure »

Thank you so much Nazar78, I will just got that route and drop 2 fresh and do a copy/paste.

Appreciate your help!
-Alex

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”