AS6604T with M.2 SSDs?

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

VinceS
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS6604T with M.2 SSDs?

Post by VinceS »

Hi,

I picked up two HP SSD S700 M.2s 120GB for caching. The NAS does not see the SSDs. They are still grayed out in Storage Manager and when I get to the SSD Cache Creation Wizard I cannot pick any options and have to cancel. Could it be a compatibility issue? I should have done a little more homework before jumping on these SSDs.

NAS Info.
AS6604T
AMD Version 3.5.2.RAG2

Thanks,
Vince
orion

Re: AS6604T with M.2 SSDs?

Post by orion »

mm... Not sure what's the problem. I'll suggest you to send a support request to asustor directly. https://support.asustor.com/
cristakke

Post by cristakke »

Hi...
I find yesterday some test on Youtube with SSD /MEMORY RAM / NMVE and those from GoodRam works all perfect ...

https://www.amazon.es/Goodram-512GB-PX5 ... uage=es_ES

In the near future I will test the RAM Memory GoddRam - GR2400S464L17S/8G and If I found the NMVE available I give this a shot ... maybe will work :roll:

Cheers
C
JAS155

Post by JAS155 »

I put a couple of these in mine, Samsung (MZ-V7E500BW) 970 EVO SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe, overkill on size for sure but they work great.
mocap3069

Post by mocap3069 »

I am having the same issue and I bought 2 drives that were on the compatibility list.
I guess I will have to wait until 2/17 to find out what is going on?
orion

Post by orion »

HP SSD S700 M.2s 120GB is SATA type M.2. And AS66xxT only supports PCI-e type M.2 (NVMe). That's the reason.
mocap3069

Post by mocap3069 »

CRAP!! I misread the compatibility list so I will swap them out and see if the new NVME ones work.
Thank you for the info.

UPDATE
The new NVME drives are seen fine but now I need to wait to get my memory upgrade to be able
to use both of them since it will only use up half of the space.

I installed the memory and it still only allows me to use 226 GB of the 2 drives for some reason that
does not make any sense!!
cristakke

Post by cristakke »

Confirm...
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe , both on the available spots installed, read and write work perfect... but keep in mind the temperature will increase fast and I advise to install also some heatsinks on both Nvmes, even more then 10 mm high.
What is strange from my point of view about temperature ... on diferent NASes, Asustor and Synology with same hard drives, ram and configuration, same motherboard, ASUSTOR 6604T has high temperatures with more then 10-15 degrees Celsius, on idle or working processes ... strange ... the airflow on Synology is better managed then Asustor.
Cheers
Cristacke
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

hi
no, workflow is good on asustor but SOFTWARE fan control is awfull, to the point that I created a script that overrides the original regulation
Last edited by sksbir on Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cristakke

Post by cristakke »

Hi
Sure, the fan control could be awfull, I change the stock fan with a very quiet and fast Noctua PWM and also I put another 2 Noctua inside the case and lower with 5-7 degrees the temperature...
I need to make a new case from scratch in 3D software to cut all the ventilation air like new architecture of fans inside, all the effort to lower temperature... and for what ... In synology I don't need to do that kind of
investment, time and money, and more than that, I try to lower the temperature also in Synology and I put in front on the unit a Noctua 92 mm fan via usb and I measure with the pull and push air to the case and I lower with more then 5 degrees the Synology temperature. The same treatment with front fan on Asustor has almost no result and I decide to put fans inside.
Another interesting factor is... Asustor stay on a room with AC all the time on almost 1 meter from AC unit and Synology stay on other room with no AC and has lower temperature then ASUSTOR who "live" on a very low temperature room 18-20 degrees ... So ... I don't know how ASUSTOR make things but on this sector Synology with plastic case and different design inside NAS has huge advantage, I'm aware the lowest temperature will get the high life of the components inside NAS will have included the most valuable component who is the hard drive...
So this is ...temperature story whit Nmve and the NAS ...
thank you for reply
Keep walking ...
Cristake

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”