10Gb NIC for AS6706T

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

snapshot
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

10Gb NIC for AS6706T

Post by snapshot »

I was surprised and pleased to find Amazon UK had stock of the Lockerstor 6 Gen 2 so one is due to be delivered here tomorrow. I'd like to fit a 10Gb NIC to make the most of my multi-Gb switch but the AS-T10G2 seems unavailable in the UK. Anybody want to make an intelligent guess as to whether another card like the Asus XG-C100C (same AQC-107 chipset) will work? Am I likely to get a sensible (or any) response from Asustor support if I raise a ticket to ask?
orion

Re: 10Gb NIC for AS6706T

Post by orion »

I believe the bracket (the metal nearby 10G connector) on Asus XG-C100C cannot fit the enclosure. I think you should send inquiry to asustor about how to order AS-T10G2 in UK.
snapshot

Post by snapshot »

Yes, that is something I was aware was possible and, looking at the QIG again, I think you're right. I'll confirm this when the NAS arrives later today.
snapshot

Post by snapshot »

You were right. Although the slot is now standard PCIe3 the back panel is completely proprietary. I guess this reduces support calls from people like me inserting random cards into the NAS and complaining that it doesn't work.....

I received a very prompt response to my support ticket. It seems the only option at the moment is to order the NIC direct from Asustor in Taiwan. I'm a bit reluctant to do this as last time I got stung for duty when the goods came into the country. I shall continue accumulating HDDs for it while I consider what to do.
COO-589

Post by COO-589 »

Same here in Australia - the newly released Lockerstor Gen2 models were only available from ASUSTOR on Amazon. I reached out to a few of their registered retailers in Aus, who in turn reached out to their Aussie distributor, who then said that these weren't going to be available here until July or August. So no EOFY sale savings... I ended up grabbing my AS6706T on Amazon but did grab the extra RAM and a AS-T10G2 from the ASUSTOR site/shop.

I've submitted a product request for a Gen2 version of their AS-S10G (although a single port 10G SFP+ PCIe x4) NIC to be compatible with the new Lockerstor Gen2 models for a 10G SFP+ upgrade option, but haven't heard back. This would be ideal for my setup where I have one 10G SFP+ port available on my router, so I could then free up my router's multi-gig BaseT port to connect my computers via 2.5GbE instead of settling for a shared 1GbE run...

I've also submitted an enquiry about confirming/adding support for a third-party option such as the StarTech PEX10GSFP, which is uncoded/MSA-compliant for broad SFP+ compatibility. I'd only be using a short SFP+ DAC cable.

If a 10G SFP+ NIC would be appealing to any of you, I'd love if you'd also submit a request for ASUSTOR to release a "AS-S10G Gen2" 10G SFP+ NIC for the Lockerstor Gen2 models, or even request compatibility for the StarTech one. I know a bracket would have to be removed/modified/replaced for a third-party option that's not made to specifically suit these NAS, but I'd be willing to do so if ASUSTOR don't come to the party with a AS-S10G Gen2...
snapshot

Post by snapshot »

What I'd like to see is a combined 10GbE NIC + two NVMe card to get back some of the slots lost to the AS-T10G2 but I won't hold my breath.....
mailman

Post by mailman »

Snapshot, do you lose the NVME slots when you install the 10gb card? That might be a show stopper for me.
snapshot

Post by snapshot »

Oh yes, absolutely. All four NVMe sockets are on a PCIe card that has to be removed to make space for the 10Gb NIC. Poor bit of design IMO but I guess it's the only way they could make the box so compact. The QNAP TS-673A which is very similar in spec has two on-board NVMe slots and two standard PCIe slots but is 14 litres against the AS6706T's 10. Fortunately, my NAS usage doesn't really benefit from cache and the fast NIC is of more benefit to me.
snapshot

Post by snapshot »

I bit the bullet and ordered a AS-T10G2 plus an extra drive tray from the Asustor store late on Monday (UK time). As expected it was on its way the next morning and arrived here just before 13:00 today with full tracking from TNT. I'll see if I get time to install it today otherwise it'll be later on Sunday at best.
COO-589

Post by COO-589 »

I've tried the ASUSTOR AS-T10G2, but could not get EZ-Connect or EZ-Router (plus a couple of other things that I can't remember) to work with it regardless of what I do. But everything works flawlessly with one of the integrated 2.5G ports (connected to the same 10G/multi-gig port on my router)... I'll raise a support ticket for ASUSTOR to investigate and fix this but I don't want my AS-T10G2...

I ordered and just received the StarTech PEX10GSFP that I'm going to try (expecting nil compatibility though as it would require a driver that ASUSTOR wouldn't provide). I also have one of the StarTech DAC to try with it as well, all being MSA-compliant/uncoded (which I also doubt ASUSTOR will accept anyway)... Have also since spotted the ASUS XG-C100F, which would be more likely to receive functionality support by ASUSTOR.

I'll give it a go (with no expectations) and report back, and raise some support tickets with ASUSTOR... I really want the SFP+ DAC option but they need to be aware of the issues with their current option of their own AS-T10G2.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”