AS-604T - Maximum HDD size??

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Hans
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS-604T - Maximum HDD size??

Post by Hans »

Hi,

I own an AS-604T using 4 HDD's (WDC WD30EFRX, each 3TB) and run a RAID 5 volume. I use the most recent ADM v3.4.6.RDF3. My net storage is 8.12 TB and this is gradually becoming a bit thinnish.
As I read conflicting information about the following, my QUESTION is: what is the maximum HDD size (x4) that I can use in this AS-604T (no expansion, and staying with RAID 5).

Thanks for your reply!

Regards,
Hans

:?:
father.mande

Re: AS-604T - Maximum HDD size??

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

You can select any disk in the compatibility list (read notes about minimum A.D.M. for each disk)

After selecting 4 disks of same size, you can use A.D.M. to increase the disk array (it's long, but some options can help you to minimize the time require (but if your actual disk are full ... it can be long ... )

link :
compatibility (select your series AS-6 ... ) : https://www.asustor.com/en-gb/service/h ... e=0&class=
how-to extend the capacity : https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colle ... ?topic=352

The usable size of Raid 5 array is : disk size minus partitions reserved by ADM (including swap) x (number of disk - 1) use max disk size possible in list to have your max size limit.
take attention that disk size can be done as multiple of 1000 or 1024
ex. Gigaoctet (Go) = 1000 Megaoctet (Mo) when Gibioctet (Gio) = 1024 Mebioctet (Mio) ... same for To/Tio, Ko/Kio, etc.)... so you can have smallest value depending of the unity ... some hard disk manufacturer use To or Go when software display as Tio / Gio ... ex. a provider said 1Ko ... so 1000 oct. ... when software said 1000 oct = 0,97 Kio ... not 1 ... :roll:

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
Hans

Post by Hans »

Hi Philippe,

Thanks for the extensive reply. Much appreciated. Based on information that I ran into, I assume the maximum size of the RAID 5 array is 64 TB and that determines the maximum size of the individual HDD's. Right or wrong? Basically I now have 4 x 3 TB and because of the Raid provision (1 disk), effectively I have 3 x 3 TB is 9 TB (in detail 8.12). I am safe then to use 4 x 4 TB HDD's (e.g.40EFRX), which should give me another 3 to 4 TB, right?

Thanks
Hans
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Yes selecting 4 x 4 GB in Raid5 get you approximately 12 TB (minus reserved ADM / Linux Partitions)

Philippe.
NB in all case you can get detailed information and how-to by asking Asustor support
froodiebaby

Post by froodiebaby »

Hi, I have an 8 bay AS604T and have flawlessly been using 4TB WD green drives for the last couple of years.

However I now had the opportunity to purchase a four 14TB WD104EFFX drives which are listed as compatible on the Asus website. I upgraded the ADM to the very latest version (ADM 3.4.6.RDF3) thinking that the NAS would automatically recognise the drives. Nothing. I even took each of them out and formatted with NTFS thinking that unformatted drives maybe the problem. Nothing detected at all. Any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

I suppose it's not WD104EFFX but WD140EFFX and AS604T is a 4 bays not 8 ?

First verify that BIOS see the new disk (or SCSI controller management if used by AS6x series).

Un_formatted disk is the best ... in ALL case, think to do a bad block check (on any system or using an USB-Live Linux on your NAS) to avoid check done by A.D.M. during install (to reduce elapse time)

Did you try a fresh install or an upgrade of the actual Raid size ?

Call support ... because this series (AS604T ) is announced (specification) to support up to 64 TB of disks (4 x 16)

Philippe.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”