Storage Manager - Is this the right forum?

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Saltrams
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Storage Manager - Is this the right forum?

Post by Saltrams »

Hello, I hope I have chosen the correct forum.
I have a 7004T with RAID1 and 2 archive drives. This morning there was a red light on disk2 of the RAID array & research has shown that the Seagate NAS drive has failed a SMART test & is on its last legs. It's still under warranty & I've ordered a pair of replacement, larger capacity Iron Wolf drives (yes, I know I didn't need 2 but I see this as a upgrade opportunity).
So, next stop was Asustor College to learn how to replace the failed drive once the replacements arrive. The "NAS 352 - Online RAID Level Migration and Capacity Expansion" lesson seems to have most of the instructions I will need (it's at https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colle ... ?topic=352 ) & section 3. "Expanding the Capacity of your NAS" looks like the right section. However, I have 2 worries:
The College lesson is over 2 years old (therefore pre-my NAS model) has anything changed? And,
Do I really remove the failed drive and put the new one in while the NAS is running? I don't need to turn it off? Soooooo contrary to usual directions about turning off & unplugging before performing tasks!

Thanks in advance for any observations or instructions that anyone has to offer.
orion

Re: Storage Manager - Is this the right forum?

Post by orion »

Yes, simply remove the bad drive, then put the new drive into your NAS when NAS is working. System should rebuild your RAID-1 volume automatically.
Saltrams

Re: Storage Manager - Is this the right forum?

Post by Saltrams »

Sounds excellent, thank you. Now if the HDDs would just hurry up....

Return to “NAS Utilities”