Add a second disc to create RAID1

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

foffe77
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Add a second disc to create RAID1

Post by foffe77 »

I have one single 4TB disk in my 3102T.

I would like to get another 4TB of the same brand and type. Is it possible to create RAID1 without lose any data?

In this article it says "Note: All data will be deleted". Maybe that answers my question, but maybe there is another way?
https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colle ... ?topic=251
orion

Re: Add a second disc to create RAID1

Post by orion »

No, your data won't be deleted if you follow the guide: https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colle ... ?topic=352

The anchor that you posted is actually to create a new volume.
foffe77

Post by foffe77 »

Ok, nice. Thank you.
szamy1

Post by szamy1 »

Hello,
My main problem is that the "Management" button is inactive in my Storage Manager application. Originally I have an 8TB HDD installed in bay-1. System and apps are on this drive and have about 6TB free space. I would like to add a 3TB drive to the bay-2 and use it in RAID1 with a part of the free space of the bay-1 drive. I tried to follow the description in the "Online RAID Level Migration and Capacity Expansion" tutorial but the "Management" button is inactive.
Additionally I tried to investigate more by trying other combinations with using a 3rd 2TB HDD in bay-3. Even if bay-2 and bay-3 drive are newly installed (despite of these are allocated with a volume# or not) I cannot use the "Management" button and therefore I cannot "upgrade" any of my drive from single to RAID1.
What can be wrong with my configuration?
Attachments
CaptureNAS_2.JPG
CaptureNAS_2.JPG (52.87 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
CaptureNAS_1.JPG
CaptureNAS_1.JPG (33.96 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
orion

Post by orion »

szamy1 wrote:Hello,
My main problem is that the "Management" button is inactive in my Storage Manager application. Originally I have an 8TB HDD installed in bay-1. System and apps are on this drive and have about 6TB free space. I would like to add a 3TB drive to the bay-2 and use it in RAID1 with a part of the free space of the bay-1 drive. I tried to follow the description in the "Online RAID Level Migration and Capacity Expansion" tutorial but the "Management" button is inactive.
No, you cannot do it. ADM does not support this feature.
If you plan to do a practice on capacity expansion, you can do the followings:
  • Remove volume-2 and volume-3.
  • Create a new volume on disk-3 which capacity is smaller. Wait for completion.
  • Back to the menu, you should see "Management" button active. You can now migrate your new volume-2 to RAID-1.
szamy1

Post by szamy1 »

Ohh, I get to understand how it works. Thank you very much! In this case, it might be the best if I start everything from the beginning and taking care of this. Thank you!

Return to “NAS Utilities”