Certificate Manager

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

dryteletubby
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Certificate Manager

Post by dryteletubby »

Under settings > certificate manager there is a SSL certificate by default. However signing in to the web server with https , my browser says that connection is not secure. Did i go about this the wrong way?
Kapitein Haak

Re: Certificate Manager

Post by Kapitein Haak »

Hello Dryteletubby,

The certificate in your NAS is a default (probvably self-signed) certificate which will not be accepted by any browser as trusted. To get a genuine, working certificate you will need to:
1. Register a domain (like dryteletubby.com) with a registrar. You can get a domain for a few bucks a year.
2. Configure the domain to point to the external IP address of your NAS (both dryteletubby.com and www.dryteletubby.com)
3. On your NAS configure the Let's Encrypt settings and let it do it's magic
You will then have your own presence on the internet, will be able to connect your NAS with an easy to remember name, be able to host a website on your own domain and have a secure connection.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

Kapitein Haak wrote:Hello Dryteletubby,
...1. Register a domain (like dryteletubby.com) with a registrar. You can get a domain for a few bucks a year.
......Kapitein Haak.
Or register a domain in xxxx.myasustor.com for free, where xxxx is a free as long as it's available.
erazumov

Post by erazumov »

I have error "Mail is not correct (Ref. 5016)" when creating a new certificate from Let's Crypt. Port 80 is open on router and WEB sever is visible from outside. DNS configuration for registered domain point to NAS IP address. Any ideas what's wrong?
eveares

Post by eveares »

I am getting the same "Mail is not correct (Ref. 5016)" error. Trying to update the ADM to see if that helps, but mine is stuck at 0% downloading the software.

I am using AS5004T with 8GB RAM and 2 x 6TB WD Red Pro in RAID 1.
eveares

Post by eveares »

erazumov wrote:I have error "Mail is not correct (Ref. 5016)" when creating a new certificate from Let's Crypt. Port 80 is open on router and WEB sever is visible from outside. DNS configuration for registered domain point to NAS IP address. Any ideas what's wrong?
Just a quick update and to anyone who is fed up of the troubles and precarious nature of the built in Let's Encrypt certificate wizard built into the Certificate Manager, I found a much better way of generating Let's Encrypt certificates what can then be imported into the Certificate Manager the conventional way.

I would recommend that ones does the following:

1) Go to https://www.sslforfree.com/ and generate the let's encrypt certificates from there.

2) Verify your domain ownership through one means supported by SSLForFree. (I verified my domains through the DNS TXT record option. Clicking the green "Manually Verify Domain" button brings up the relevant DNS TXT record details.)

3) Download and then Extract the downloaded certificates

4) Then import the extracted Private Key, Public Cert and Intermediate Cert into the Certificate manager as you would the conventional way.

Never am I going back to the built in Let's Encrypt certificate generator built into the Asustor Certificate Manager if I can help it!, as I have lost many hours over troubles and problems with it not working corectley over the last two years. I have had all sorts of errors and malfunctions with it!

Regards: Elliott.
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

Hello Elliott,

I have been using the Let's Encrypt since the first beta and besides some quircks here and there it works just fine for me. It's all done automatically without any manual interventions. But, as you already wrote, you experience differently.
This should not prevent others from trying the buildin option, it might just work fine for them as well.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
bimbo

Post by bimbo »

eveares wrote:I am getting the same "Mail is not correct (Ref. 5016)" error..
Have the same issue. Write to Asustor support and they write me that they know the error and work on a fix:

Hello

We have known the issue. it has been reported to software team for clarification, but this may take some time to process because the issue is probably related to Let's encrypted service.
if we have further finding , we will update you.
Asustor AS6204T, 16GB Ram, 4x 6TB HGST Deskstar NAS, ADM 3.0.4.RCQ1
bimbo

Post by bimbo »

After the new firmware update, LetyEnCrypt is working now :)
Asustor AS6204T, 16GB Ram, 4x 6TB HGST Deskstar NAS, ADM 3.0.4.RCQ1

Return to “NAS Utilities”