Backup and Restore

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

thebirillo67
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Backup and Restore

Post by thebirillo67 »

In the ADM 3.0 I have configured a Backup activity "NAS => External Device" to an External Drive connected to the USB5 port, selecting some main folders to be saved (i.e. User Homes, Video, Media, and so on).
Then I executed this activity successfully and now I have got those folder stored on my external hard drive.
Now I would like to restore those folders in the original places, but configuring an "External Device => NAS" backup activity, I cannot select the root of my NAS volume, but only one of the existing folders...
In this way I can only restore my backup folders into a specific NAS subdirectory and not into the root of the NAS volume (where they were originally stored).
How can I restore that folders in the original position?
Thanks for your support!
sksbir

Re: Backup and Restore

Post by sksbir »

hi
I suppose that you can restore your folders one by one, specifying a folder has source instead of the whole external disk
thebirillo67

Post by thebirillo67 »

Yes, but this is very annoying...
Asustor support confirms that this is a system choice to protect the root folder of the NAS...
But we think that there were other ways to avoid this kind of problems: only system folders should be protected, not user folders...
In addition, restoring a folder at a time, don't avoids more risks of restoring all the folders in one shot. It only slows down the operation...
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

well
I think that this is OK in this manner, and cannot see here an design error from Asustor : I don't see the advantage of having an action like "restore all the content of my external disk, don't matter what is stored on this external disk, and overwrite everything inside my NAS".
You can still connect with ssh to your NAS : all shared folders are subfolders in /share folder. Build a script which restore the whole content in one action. You can even create a script which detects a new USB device and automatically restore content without asking anything. but you may understand that such features will never be installed in ADM GUI.

Return to “NAS Utilities”