Midnight Commander

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

docb
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Midnight Commander

Post by docb »

Hi all,
unfortunately there is no Topic for Midnight-Commander in 3rd-Party Apps, that's why I posted my topic here. Has anyone installed MC from AppCentral? I've got no icon on ADM after install and I can only run mc on ssh promt. But the apps preview-picture in Appstore suggests it would run from ADM. Has anyone running that on ADM?
Best regards
doc
sksbir

Re: Midnight Commander

Post by sksbir »

has I can see here ( https://midnight-commander.org/wiki/doc/faq ) , it's designed for 'text' terminal only.
1.3 Does it work with my terminal?
Yes, it does.
Because GNU Midnight Commander is a full screen program it doesn't run on dummy terminals but anything more advanced will do (like vt100). If your terminal works with vi, emacs, elm or pine it will work with GNU Midnight Commander.
icon is nothing more that icon for ADM, just has GeoIP database, virtualbox extension pack or media-pack. installing all this APP does not provide a graphic interface, and does not add any icon on ADM desktop.
docb

Post by docb »

You again - you seem to bee the good soul here ;-)
I hoped the Midnight Commander App in ADM found a way to put the terminal in a "Window" with active MC on ADM so I could easily use it instead of the FileManager-App (cause this seems not accept my login as admin as I cannot see other homes there). I was mislead by the App Picture (https://www.asustor.com/apps/app_detail?id=622&lan=ger) but now when I looked at it again, it becomes obvious that it is noch ADM-Screenshot but from a Mac (the Close/Minimize icons are on the other side).
Thank you very much again sksbir!
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

docb wrote:You again - you seem to bee the good soul here ;-)
I hoped the Midnight Commander App in ADM found a way to put the terminal in a "Window" with active MC on ADM so I could easily use it instead of the FileManager-App (cause this seems not accept my login as admin as I cannot see other homes there). I was mislead by the App Picture (https://www.asustor.com/apps/app_detail?id=622&lan=ger) but now when I looked at it again, it becomes obvious that it is noch ADM-Screenshot but from a Mac (the Close/Minimize icons are on the other side).
Thank you very much again sksbir!
you are welcome :)
Be carefull with "home" folder seen from ssh terminal . This home is not designed to store your personal data just has for regular unix machines.
You have to create a shared folder, put your data there. So you can access your data from "/share/<yourFolder>" if you have to do something with ssh, and still can read/write your data with all activated protocols ( webdab,ftp,smb.... )

So I did with all my script, like the one for VirtualBox, or fan regulation : they are stored in /share/Syst_internal ( Syst_internal is the name of the shared folder )
docb

Post by docb »

Thanks, so I will do it that way!
Maxmen

Post by Maxmen »

Hi!
When the midnight commander will in appcentral for AS-202TE ?

Return to “NAS Utilities”