macOS 10.13 and Time Machine backups

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

OveS
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

macOS 10.13 and Time Machine backups

Post by OveS »

Hello,

Has someone already tested if Time Machine backup works with the new High Sierra? The change from AFP to SMB makes me worry, and I would like to be sure before upgrading.
Currently Time Machine backup works perfectly over wifi from my Macbook Pro, and over ethernet from the iMac.

-- OveS
-- AS3202T / ADM 3.0.1.R9J2
Ove S.
--- AS3202T --- Mac & Linux & Android ---
mblatchford

Re: macOS 10.13 and Time Machine backups

Post by mblatchford »

I backed up and took the plunge this morning with the intent to roll back to 10.12 if TimeMachine didn't work. Good news! I didn't have any problems. I'm on an AS-202TE running ADM 3.0.1.R9J2 I haven't completed a backup but TimeMachine is more than 3.5GB into 22GB over my wireless network so I figure all should be fine. If there was going to be a problem with filesystem incompatibility they shouldn't be able to talk to each other at all. That being said, I must still be confused on what Apple removed because my NAS still shows up as with "(AFP)" appended to it. I don't know if the Bonjour protocol can reroute from AFP to SMB or what but suffice to say it's working regardless.
OveS

Re: macOS 10.13 and Time Machine backups

Post by OveS »

There was a similarily positive comment in a French NAS forum earlier, so I took the plunge also today. Upgrade went through without glitch and finished about 30 mins ago. Everything seems to work normally on this Macbook Pro mid-2010 (upgraded with SSD and 8GB RAM), maybe even a bit smoother than normally.
Time Machine found the NAS disk, that my script connects to at logon, and remembered the backup from this morning. And yes, the connection is AFP, according to disk info.
Ove S.
--- AS3202T --- Mac & Linux & Android ---

Return to “NAS Utilities”