Asustor Portal

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

theliltank4901
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Asustor Portal

Post by theliltank4901 »

When i connect an hdmi to my nas to my tv i get a black screen with a mouse icon. Asustor Portal is installed? I'm a noob with with my nas but i got plex server running. My nas is AS602T-D08E.
orion

Re: Asustor Portal

Post by orion »

Sounds weird if you installed asustor portal and you could see a mouse cursor on your TV. You can try to disable asustor portal, then re-enable it again (ADM web -> AppCentral -> Installed App -> asustor portal).
theliltank4901

Post by theliltank4901 »

i tried that still nothing i know my nas is not the newest and greatest. The application keep loading when i try to modify a setting im not sure if the nas likes the long cable.It's a 15ft 4k capable cable and its not the problem cause its works on anything else. It's still displaying something on my tv but i just cant do anything with it. Everytime i try plugging in a mouse it does nothing.
orion

Post by orion »

Ok, I think you can try to adjust resolution under asustor portal application to lower one (for example, 720p or 1024x768). The bit-rate bandwidth should be lower (to see if it's caused by long cable). The weird thing is that you can see mouse cursor. That actually means the current resolution should be fine. On the other hand, I think you should send a support ticket to asustor to check it too. https://support.asustor.com/
theliltank4901

Post by theliltank4901 »

i get this message when i try to change the resolution
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (118.18 KiB) Viewed 11207 times
orion

Post by orion »

Ok, that means that the application cannot detect your HDMI output device. That is highly possibly caused by your long HDMI cable. I think you should try a short cable first to identify what's the problem.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

That cable is a bit long. As was suggested, try an 8 foot cable, or even a 3 foot cable. Any of the AS-60X series are limited to HDMI 1.3a as that's what the board supports. If I recall correctly (but can't seem to find online now) the spec for 1.3a was 8 foot. It wasn't until either 1.4 or 2.0 that the spec raised the cable length to 15+
theliltank4901

Post by theliltank4901 »

wow ok why would that every be an issue??
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

hehe, well, where to start... Copper wire has a resistance. This resistance increases as the length of the wire increases. You can easily make a wire as long as you want, but the problem is, can the wire still carry enough signal for the length you want. In this case it would appear that you have exceeded that limit for the spec of the HDMI you have.

Another example of a limit like this is with Ethernet. Depending on the spec you may be limited to 300 meters, 1000 meters or 1500+ meters. That means you need a switch or repeater to bolster the signal for runs greater than the spec's limits.

Have you tried a shorter cable as was suggested? And did it work? If so, you know exactly what the issue was and why.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

yep
something similars happens to me, while connecting my AS5102T to a new 4K TV. Image was flickering. I remembered that my HDMI output was only 1.4 and not 2 thus, not compatible with 4K. Once reverting output definition to full HD, everything was OK. Of course, TV had to do an upscale, but image was stable and still really nice.

Return to “NAS Utilities”