No temp reading for we red 4tb

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

spikey1973
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

No temp reading for we red 4tb

Post by spikey1973 »

Hello,

I'm about t replace a harddrive (more space needed)
So while looking around I noticed the following..
I have two drives in my as6102.. drive one a 4tb WD red.. and in the second slot.. a seagate barracude 1 TB.. which I'm about to replace..

But I noticed that the barracuda shows a running temperature for the drive.. while the wd doesn't. I never looked at this. Before but it strikes me as odd. I never have had any problems with the drive.. could this still be a failure? Or is it normal for a wd red of 4tb..

I tried to look at specs.. but can't seem to find if it should or shouldn't display temp readings.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
orion

Re: No temp reading for we red 4tb

Post by orion »

I'm surprised. I can always read disk temperature. You can go to ADM web -> Storage Manager -> Disk -> select WD disk -> SMART Info. Did you see ID=194? That's temperature record of this disk.
spikey1973

Post by spikey1973 »

i checked what you suggested...
smart info: completely empty field. on the other hand for the other disk (already, showing the temp) shows a full list of (smart) data.
Smart scan (full): no error found.. guess it has something to do with smart not being on? although the status is good, and status is healthy

i also rebooted and checked the uefi / bios.. but for 1 i didn't see a reference to s.m.a.r.t as such.. but did find no difference in settings for both drives.
als on boot it clearly stated s.m.a.r.t. enabled. but no reference to a specific drive.
and ofcourse some part is indeed enabled as the 2e slot drive's smart capabilities work great.
orion

Post by orion »

SMART info is generated by HDD itself. So it's surprised that this HDD don't provide ID-194 SMART info.
spikey1973

Post by spikey1973 »

i figured out how to solve it..

i took the drive and connected it externally to my ubuntu laptop.
installed smartmontools:
# sudo apt-get install smartmontools

ran:
# sudo smartctl -i /dev/sdb

to check the drive's info, including smart.

apparently the smart functions can be turned on and off! didn't know either but some googling led me there.

running:
#sudo smartctl -s on /dev/sdb

turned the smart functionality on..

why it wasn't on from the start is somewhat of a mystery to me but it got solved.
hope this will help others.

ps: sdb is just my drive's name, please check you run this on the correct drive on your system for your self!
orion

Post by orion »

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.
spikey1973

Post by spikey1973 »

my pleasure..

i ask a lot,, but once i find stuff out that could be intreresting to all, i try to share.
vitosx

Post by vitosx »

Just in case somebody had similar issue, you can install smartctl commandline tool on NAS too. It is available through entware-ng package from App Central.
After installing it you can connect through ssh and launch:
opkg update; opkg install smartmontools

Return to “NAS Utilities”