VPN PPTP client

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

billys1337
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

VPN PPTP client

Post by billys1337 »

Hey guys.
I am a bit stuck and hoping somebody might be able to help me.
I am using the inbuilt VPN client functionality in the ADM OS>settings>vpn section to connect to a PPTP VPN network, this is working great, however the problem is that the PPTP VPN connection is not automatically reconnected when the NAS reboots and if I am not around to manually connect it again if/when it reboots this is a problem.

The "Reconnect when the VPN connection is lost" only seems to work if the internet connection is lost or the VPN is dropped server side but not when the NAS reboots.

I am connecting to the nas via Winscp and have a little bit of linux knowledge (cronjobs, basic file structure etc) but not enough to figure this out on my own.

So basically I am trying to figure out a way to hack the OS to connect the pptp vpn at boot or preferably write a .sh script or a simple command that I can run as a cronjob that will check the status of the connection and reconnect if offline, is this possible and if so can somebody help me figure out what command I need to use?

Thanks heaps in advanced for anyone willing to give me a little of their time :)
pieterpan

Re: VPN PPTP client

Post by pieterpan »

Hi billys,
I would love to do the same. I get a lot of disconnections myself. Did you get this sorted out?
It would be the best to have a script/job to check if the VPN was on, let say every hour, and then restart the service if it was down.
I can't belive that nobody has an answer to this?
billys1337

Re: VPN PPTP client

Post by billys1337 »

@pieterpan
Still no luck from my end, possibly this is fixed in the 3.0 ADM update, however I am not using it yet, and kind of doubt it would be fixed, i am sure it would be easy for a linux pro or a austor pro but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it.
Currently if the VPN disconnects I have to remote desktop into my work network via a PC and then login to the NAS and reconnect the VPN, very annoying :(.

If you yourself find a solution to this I would be ever grateful if you let me know :D

Cheers,
Billy

Return to “NAS Utilities”