How to do a Mac Time Machine backup?

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

THX1139
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

How to do a Mac Time Machine backup?

Post by THX1139 »

Greetings,

I've been trying to get my Mac's Time Machine backup to work with no luck. I've enabled the Time Machine support service on the NAS. I've also set up a shared folder named backup and set its access rights to read/write even for guests. The Mac is connected to the NAS via the router, through ethernet cables. I've discovered that when Time Machine is going to access the NAS, you cannot have any shared folders from it mounted on the MAC at the same time. This was apparently the cause of my first troubles.

Now however it backs up and then just quits without any explanation. I've managed to backup the first 36GB out of 1.3TB. It will go no further. I'm thinking that the connection gets interrupted somehow. (I've also noticed that when watching movies I have on the NAS, they stop once in a while for maybe ten seconds).

Is it anything I can do to make the data flow steadier or maybe other things I have overlooked when using Time Machine to do backups?

OSX 10.12.4 Asustor Model AS6204T ADM version 2.7.1.RFT5 Bios version 2.07

Thanks for reading this far! :)
orion

Re: How to do a Mac Time Machine backup?

Post by orion »

I'll suggest you to send a support request to asustor to check it. https://support.asustor.com/
ramzez

Re: How to do a Mac Time Machine backup?

Post by ramzez »

i can only advise against using time machine if you making backups wirelessly, every 2 weeks the integrity of the backup fails and you have to start again. I had the problem with QNAP and continue to have exactly the same problem with Asustor. I don't believe there is a solution for it and i am still looking for a good software which can handle my use case.
AS202TE

Return to “NAS Utilities”