Let's talk security (apps, remote access, etc)

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

james0w
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Let's talk security (apps, remote access, etc)

Post by james0w »

As I look through the features of my new ASUSTOR AS1002T NAS and consider what I'd like to install, I keep thinking about the security of different features.

- Are there potential security holes that I'd be opening up if I were to install apps that allow for remote access? What security exists for those apps?

- Surveillance cameras I use today are encrypted from camera to receiver, and hard wired to the DVR. I'm looking to upgrade my entire system, and add IP cameras to my network that would (hopefully) record to the NAS drive. I've installed the available surveillance app to manage the cameras, and the cameras I chose are TRENDnet Indoor/Outdoor TV-IP562WI (D-Link has motion detection issues, not many other choices on Amazon). How secure is the connection of the cameras to my network (TP-Link AC1200 Router), the NAS, and the surveillance app?

- Can I view my surveillance cameras on the network with android devices also logged into my network, but not open up remote viewing of android devices through the web? Or is that a package deal where allowing one also allows the other? What if I don't have the portal installed, would that do the trick?
sksbir

Re: Let's talk security (apps, remote access, etc)

Post by sksbir »

If you want security, open remote access just for a VPN to access your NAS from outside.
Once connected to VPN, you will access to the whole services started on your NAS.

I have managed remote access for ADM ( ssl only ) , webdav ( SSL only ) , FTPS , and openvpn. Always using custom ports. Other services where I cannot enforce encryption and choose ports ( plex server, transmission... ) or I don't want to open wide ( ssh ) are not mapped to outside, and I need first to connect to VPN.
Last edited by sksbir on Tue May 16, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ford Henly

Post by Ford Henly »

Any virus protection software for NAS system that you would like to recommend?
orion

Post by orion »

Ford Henly wrote:Any virus protection software for NAS system that you would like to recommend?
I can only find Avast anti-virus in AppCentral.
Ford Henly

Post by Ford Henly »

yes, using avast!
Ford Henly

Post by Ford Henly »

Eset is also NAS friendly. A friend told me he is using Eset protection on his synology DS5+ model.

Return to “NAS Utilities”