esata drive not seen

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.
spikey1973
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

esata drive not seen

Post by spikey1973 »

Hey guys,

just recieved 2 e-sata cables 1 of them i want to use to add an external ssd drive to my as6102t nas.
this drive has been connected via usb (2) but ofcourse i prefer esata. it was fully functional when attached via usb.

as said have two cables and tried both cables on both ports but on non of the 4 options the drive is recognized / seen.
as i'm new with esata i recon that there is a chance that i'm missing a step or am doing something wrong, just don't know what that would be.

looked into the bios, but did not find (might have over looked as i am not sure what to look for) any reference to esata.
did find the two internal sata drives being recognized ofcourse.

in boot options i found the two internal drives and adata ium01 the efi usb device. but no reference of the esata drive.

in theory there is a chance of both cables being defective but they are of nice quality and in general customers have been satisfied with similar purchases so the likelyhood of two cable to be defective seems unlikely to me.

i do not have a 2e machine with esata ports available to me to test them out unfortunately.

the ssd drive has been attached from boot on, so i am assuming it would be mounted at start-up, also looked at ways to mount the drive but did not find any.

any idea's or thought are welcom.

Kind regards Matthieu
orion

Re: esata drive not seen

Post by orion »

My NAS is AS-304T which does not include eSATA interfaces. Normally eSATA ports should work like USB ports in NAS, i.e., you should see volumes under ADM after plug in eSATA HDD. However eSATA interface does not include power for HDD. You should plug extra power cable to your HDD (eSATA cable + power cable). So it's not as convenient as USB interface. Did you do that?
spikey1973

Post by spikey1973 »

Hello Orion,

Thank you for your reply,

and to answer to the full of my extend, i thought i did.
I have this cable: 12V 5V Combo Power eSATA USB 2.0 To 22Pin SATA Hard Disk HDD Drive Adapter Cable
http://www.banggood.com/Yves-Saint-Laur ... 91606.html, donø't understand the yves-Saint_Laurent part, but it is the correct link.

so cable wise it should be oke, but if the interface in the nas itself doesn't supply power then that could indeed be the cause.
so the interface in the nas is an esata and not and power esata? didn't know that there was a difference.
in which case i can assume i need a different cable? one with esata and usb one one side and sata on the other. am i correct?

Kind regards

Matthieu
orion

Post by orion »

Ok, your cable is actually eSATAp cable (p means 5V/12V power, but I don't believe eSATAp is a standard interface). However your NAS interface is eSATA which does not supply power.
You can try this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Inch-Hard-D ... 1446206429

Or you would need an external box to provide power to HDD, then connect eSATA cable to NAS.
Like this one: http://www.banggood.com/ORICO-6518SUS3- ... mds=search

Return to “NAS Utilities”