NAS HDMI

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.
zestbow2
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

NAS HDMI

Post by zestbow2 »

Newbe to the NAS world
I have a Asustor NAS as3202t and I plugged in the HDMI but all I see is the screensaver.
Is there an Interface I can use to see and play my content.
Plus, is there some kind of wireless device I can use so I don't have too hookup a keyboard and Mouse?
Thank you
orion

Re: NAS HDMI

Post by orion »

You should install ASUSTOR Portal application under ADM web page -> App Central. That will show you some applications on your HDMI display. You should install KODI to play your media contents.

Wireless devices? How about install AiRemote on your mobile phone, or wireless keyboard.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

You could also try installing Plex Media Server on the NAS to stream media to other devices (and if this works) to Plex Media Player running on your NAS. This is the questionable thing, though... Not sure PMP will run on that model or not. You would have to test it out to see if it does... I know it works on the 5xxx series and the 70xx series. And likely on the 6x0x and the 3x0x.

Keep in mind, that this means your NAS is going to be playing and possibly transcoding the content for itself. So it might struggle a bit to do it real time.

A truly better option is to use the NAS to stream from and run a Roku or similar device to stream to.

The lack of a remote is one of the biggest issues I have using PMP on my NAS. I have to use the TV's remote for volume and either VNC into the NAS to select media, or use the buggy native Plex client app on my model of TV.
Data_Dan

Post by Data_Dan »

I'm currently using Kodi on my AS7004T to view my vast collection of media files. It's in my theater room. I have a modded Boxee Box with Kodi on it in another area of my house. I'm thinking of switching everything to Plex and replacing the Boxee Box with a Roku 4. If I make the change, do I also need a Roku where my NAS is installed? Does the PMS also playback media on the NAS or do I have to install PMP on it?
Thanks.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

You will need PMP on it. Which is no longer as hard to get as it was. Father_Mande (Philippe) is keeping the updates with that coming along fairly quickly. Much more quickly than the apps in App Central maintained by Asustor are updated, that's for sure!

Philippe has done a very good job of adding to the functionality to the higher end models. We all owe him a huge thanks, whether we use all of his updated apps or not! :)

Return to “NAS Utilities”