Newbie RAID questions

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.
Jacqeez
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Newbie RAID questions

Post by Jacqeez »

Hi guys, new to the site. Just ordered an as1002t. I only grabbed 1 drive for the time being as I will be running backups via a USB external. I'm now wondering if I should grab a 2nd drive and use RAID 0 for write speed benefits, would I see a major difference in the write speed? I have a lot of HD home video and movies I will be copying and often.

Also, if I were to keep the one drive in and opt to add a second drive in the future would it just add to my storage or would I have to rebuild the storage to act as one drive?
orion

Re: Newbie RAID questions

Post by orion »

I think you can gain performance benefit on RAID-0 configuration only if you apply 2 or more USB devices copying at the same time. One disk throughput can be up to 150MB/s or more. 2 disks RAID-0 should be 300MB/s. However that means you need to fill those data to NAS at the same time (from network, from USB devices).

You are talking about RAID migration. Asustor supports some of configurations: http://download.asustor.com/college/en/ ... ansion.pdf. However your case is not in the list.

Return to “NAS Utilities”