Time Machine backup repeatedly corrupted!!

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.
Baron_FEL
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Time Machine backup repeatedly corrupted!!

Post by Baron_FEL »

Hi,

I'm having lots of problem with my ASUSTOR 604T and Time Machine backups of my MacBook Pro.

Every few days, Time Machine tells me it must create a new backup to improve reliability. This is getting worse and nothing seems to work to fix it.

Code: Select all

$ tail /var/log/system.log | grep backupd
Runtime corruption detected on /Volumes/Backups/com.apple.backupd/MyBackup.sparsebundle (fsck_hfs -q termination status: 3)
I followed these steps hoping to resolve the issue. It worked fine for a week and then the corruption showed up again.

I'm running an ASUSTOR 604T. It's up to date and AFP is properly configured as per http://download.asustor.com/college/NAS ... actice.pdf. My MacBook Pro is running OS X 10.11.2 and is backing up about 200GB of data over wired Ethernet. There is ample space on the NAS (3 * 4TB WD Red Pro in RAID 5). I'm currently running a scan for bad blocks, but I seriously doubt that's the cause of the problem.

Any idea on what the problem could be and how I can fix it? I don't want to give up on my ASUSTOR, but this is really a deal breaker.

Thanks,

Baron FEL
Quote.L@AST

Re: Time Machine backup repeatedly corrupted!!

Post by Quote.L@AST »

Hi Baron,

I think it is hard to know what happens on your system.
if you have the bad block on different hard disks , the data might be corrupted because RAID5 only can protect one hard disk failed.
A multiple failure on different drive will not protect the data.
To troubleshoot the problem, it will need the logs ( such as healthrecord of NAS for analysis).
I will recommend you to submit the ticket to http://support.asustor.com , and provide the healthrecord of your NAS.

Q
Igor_thedoberman

Post by Igor_thedoberman »

The exit code returned by fsck is the sum of the following conditions:
1 - File system errors corrected
2 - System should be rebooted
So what it's telling you is it fixed a problem and the machine needs a reboot.
But in your case i think the problem is a vel known NOT to run fsck on a mounted drive. This is known to couse problems.
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

i have the same problem constantly. and there is no problem with hard drives.
AS202TE

Return to “NAS Utilities”