NAS address different to WAN address?

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.
eightace
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

NAS address different to WAN address?

Post by eightace »

I think I am missing something fairly simple but my WAN IP on DDNS is different from my router WAN address so EZ-Router cannot work. How do I fix this?
orion

Re: NAS address different to WAN address?

Post by orion »

Sounds that you are in double (or more) NAT environment. I believe all of the NAT devices need to setup port forwarding correctly for EZ-router function. Truly hard. If you only need data sync through cloud, you may try Dropbox or owncloud.
cwvicky

Post by cwvicky »

under any of the Apps sub sections. Am wondering since X.org is supported (for my case would be the AS-302T), would it be possible for users
Elrique64

Post by Elrique64 »

To the OP...

If you are indeed "double natted" you aren't going to gbe able to easily set up any of the "EZ router" functions as they are defaulted to work. You would need to have access to each of the routers involved and either turn one (the first one) into a bridge so it no longer handles address trasnlations (NAT stands for Network Address Translation) and then hopefully the router that is still set up as a router can work with EZ Router. If not you would need to set up ports forwarded to the NAS.

One way to do this, if you have an ISP router/modem and then your own router and then the NAS if you can get into both the ISP's router and your own, would be to forward ports on the ISP router to the other router, forward ports on the other router to the NAS.

Easier to set up the first router as a bridge....

If you are in an apartment, school or neighborhood that uses some sort of network sharing system, you are pretty well screwed. Most of these types of systems are very particular about how they let the customer (you) use their systems and I doubt you will get them to forward ports for you. If you do, it might cost more than you are willing to pay. (Several hundred $ a month in some cases...)
cckst53

Post by cckst53 »

Hi

I just bought my Asustor NAS and encountered the same problem when setting up my EZ-Router.
Error Message:
Multiple routers detected, The router's external IP is different than the NAS's external IP. Please check your network environment first.
from Information,
NAS WAN IP 103.252.200.7
Router WAN IP 172.23.4.123

My house subscribe to fibre optic and my ISP had a modem/router, the connect to my router (ASUS RT-AC56U).
I had forwarded the ports in my router to port 8000 as instructed in one of guide online by ASUSTOR College.
Any solution would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
orion

Post by orion »

There are 2 possible ways:
  • Set your local router as bridge mode. It will eliminate one NAT on your side. It should work only if your ISP acts as one NAT device and supports uPnP.
  • Call your ISP to setup port forwarding on their side for you.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

A better method, and one to prevent the ISP from doing any in-depth monitoring of your network, is to have the ISP set their device as a bridge. Then your own router is the main WAN connection and you can control the network on your own without relying on them to do things for you.

Most ISP's know and can do this with a simple phone call. After this, your router will get a WAN IP from the ISP's pool and their hardware is physically there, butt invisible on the network. Any monitoring they could do is on the wire and not through any sniffing utilities that they might have installed on their hardware. Most of the support people that would be able to do the setup to bridge mode don't know what the network guys have running.

I have a cable modem set up in bridge, and then my Asus RT-AC66U set up as the main router. I use port forwards on the Asus, using some strange ports for things I want to protect.

This is the best, and easiest way to set things up. It does require you to learn how to set up forwards, which isn't hard. Don't rely on EZ-Router. It uses uPnP which is not consistent enough for a "server" environment. Don't count on it for anything important.
cckst53

Post by cckst53 »

Thanks Orion and MikeG.6.5.
I will call up my ISP. Shall feedback the outcome.
I have lots to learn on Networking.

Best Regards!
orion

Post by orion »

cckst53 wrote:Thanks Orion and MikeG.6.5.
I will call up my ISP. Shall feedback the outcome.
I have lots to learn on Networking.

Best Regards!
I think Mike is right. He just provided a simplest way. You'd better to acquire a public static IP from your ISP. Then, setup your local router properly about WAN IP and port forwarding settings.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

You don't need to get a static from the ISP, but you should get your router using that IP and not bridging your network to theirs. Use their hardware as the bridge, and rely on your for security. That way you know what's installed on it, you control access, etc.

If they bridge their hardware, you should be in good shape. I don't have a static. I use Asustor's DDNS service to access everything. Static IP's can cost an arm and a leg. Not worth it when you have a free Dynamic Domain Name Service (DDNS. This is what converts a name to an IP for internet traffic.) already built into the NAS.

Return to “NAS Utilities”