NAS not responding during array rebuild

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.
artem
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

NAS not responding during array rebuild

Post by artem »

Hi

I have 604 box and I added 2x4TB disks to the existing 2x4TB RAID1 array. The box started to rebuild the array to RAID5 but I can't monitor this process in any way. Everything just hangs. Web console is not working, I can't login (ssh) with admin account. I can login with root but cat /proc/mdstatcommand hangs as well. I was able to detect it using config tool and tried to reboot, nothing happened except that config tool doesn't see the NAS as well.

Is it normal? Or I should still be able to login to my box using web UI and monitor the progress?

Thanx
artem

Re: NAS not responding during array rebuild

Post by artem »

I was able to reboot my NAS by executing /sbin/reboot -n -f
After reboot I see my old 2-disks RAID1 array, one spare drive (marked with V) and one inactive disk.
If I remove the spare drive and then go to Management and try to migrate to RAID5 the NAS stops responsing again (except SSH for root user).
artem

Post by artem »

According to this forum thread there seems to be a bug in linux kernel http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-843292.html. So I guess the only option I have now is reset to factory defaults and rebuild the array from scratch.
Steve@AST

Post by Steve@AST »

Hi artem,

If you didn't rebuild the RAID from scratch, may I have some information of your NAS? (I would like to ask our test department to investigate this issue, if it's a linux kernel bug, maybe we need a kernel upgrade in the future :shock: )

May I have the information below
1. ADM version
2. HDD model
3. I assume that you migrate the RAID level from RAID 1 to RAID 5, right?

br.

Steve
ASUSTOR AS-602T
MacBook Air
iPhone 4s, New iPad, iPod nano
artem

Post by artem »

Hi

1. 1.0.7.R1M2
2. Hitachi HDS724040ALE640 (all 4 are the same)
3. Yes, I had 2 HDDs configured as RAID1 then added 2 more and tried to migrate to RAID5. Also I had about 300G of data when I tried to migrate.

I've rebuilt my NAS actually, works fine now.

BTW I played with a couple of WD WD4000FYYZ a bit a couple of weeks ago and tried to migrate from single drive to RAID1 and had very similar issue. But the problem I encountered yesterday and today was very stable and 100% reproducible.
James.W@AST

Post by James.W@AST »

Hi artem,

So you mean no matter what model the hard drive is, when you try to migrate from RAID1 to RAID 5 (4 disks) and the problem will happen, is that correct?

Thanks,

JW
To Infinity and Beyond!

Friends of My AS-606T: (RAID 5 with WD Black 2TB * 4, WD Red 2TB * 2)
MacBook Air (10.8) & Self-assembled Windows PC (Windows 7)
iPhone 4S (iOS 6) & iPad 2 (iOS 6)
Boxee Box, Logitech Squeezebox Duet
SONY HT-CT150 Sound Bar (Connected directly to the NAS via HDMI)
CISCO Linksys E4200
artem

Post by artem »

Hi

I can only say that for Hitachi drives it was 100% reproducible. I don't have WD drives anymore to check. Also I'm not sure is it related to drives only or to a combination of drives/data/raid. Something similar is also described here http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1602

BTW, I added external hdd and backed up all my data so I can try to reproduce again and you'll be able to connect to check what the state of the system is.
James.W@AST

Post by James.W@AST »

Hi artem,

Thanks for the info. We will use the Hitachi drive to investigate this issue first : )

Cheers,

JW
To Infinity and Beyond!

Friends of My AS-606T: (RAID 5 with WD Black 2TB * 4, WD Red 2TB * 2)
MacBook Air (10.8) & Self-assembled Windows PC (Windows 7)
iPhone 4S (iOS 6) & iPad 2 (iOS 6)
Boxee Box, Logitech Squeezebox Duet
SONY HT-CT150 Sound Bar (Connected directly to the NAS via HDMI)
CISCO Linksys E4200

Return to “NAS Utilities”