Question about RAID 1

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

dcanham001
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Question about RAID 1

Post by dcanham001 »

I have a 5304T with 4x hard drives. I've set up RAID 1 which I understand means 2 of the 4 drives act as 'back-up' for the others.

When I add new files to one of the volumes does it automatically sync to both hard drives or do i need to manually need to sync the drives again? if they need to sync again are there settings somewhere where i can set it up to sync monthly or something?

Also how do i delete files from the volume? Do I just go into File Explorer and manually delete them?

Thanks for any assistance.
ilike2burnthing

Re: Question about RAID 1

Post by ilike2burnthing »

RAID isn't a backup - it isn't what you turn to when you lose data, it prevents data loss in the first place. Its redundancy is only parallel to a backup in the case of mechanical failure; if there is physical damage, fire, flood, electrical surge, theft, etc. then both instances of the data are likely to be lost.

The data mirroring is instantaneous, you don't need to intervene. Same with deleting files.
dcanham001

Re: Question about RAID 1

Post by dcanham001 »

thank you for the input.
I got a bit confused with the deleting of files because i deleted them from the NAS they still appeared in my plex library even after rescanning the files. i thought perhaps it was reading them from the second RAID disk if that makes sense. however when i went into the file on plex it said Not Available so I just manually deleted it from my plex.

Return to “NAS Utilities”