Migrating RAID volumes

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

helgrimm
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Migrating RAID volumes

Post by helgrimm »

Hi there!

What am I trying to do?

Migrate 2 volumes of RAID - one 2 disk RAID 1 and one 2 disk Raid 0 currently sitting in my 5304T NAS - onto a new 4 disk RAID 10 volume. I need to move volumes between cabinets and data between volumes.

2 disk RAID 0 + 2 disk RAID 1 -> 4 disk RAID 10. Not the same disks. I have 8 disks.

Have the new RAID 10 volume reside in the 5304T and the older RAID volumes reside in the 6004 extension cabinet.

What hardware I have?

8 disks. One Asustor 5304T and one 6004 extension cabinet.

Specific strategy?

I want the new 4 disk RAID 10 volume to sit in the 5304T where the other RAID volumes currently reside with the system on. Preferably by creating the new 4 disk RAID 10 volume in the 5304 and copying data back from the old volumes - hopefully from the 6004.

Stuck?

Neither RAID volumes that sit in the 5304T are recognized as such if I move them to the 6004. I've moved them back to the 5304 for now, without losing data.

Please help me get through this operation without suggesting I buy more hardware and make backups. If I create the new 4 disk volume in the 6004, and then copy the data from the 5304 and then move the new volume over to the 5304 and the old volumes over to the 6004, I'm fully dependent on the hardware recognizing the RAID volumes I move between cabinets. And it's not going so well atm.

Thanks for listening and if you have any suggestions?

Annoyances?

This page is way to loose and gives the impression everything is possible.

https://www.asustor.com/en/knowledge/de ... up_id=1205

The last resort?

I've devised a way that could make this project succeed, but it implies copying all the data 3 (!) times. There's about 10TB of data.
1) Copy the existing data from RAID one and two to one of the new disks not in a RAID.
2) Break the current RAID 0 and format into single disks. Copy the data onto these 2 single disks.
3) Create the 4 disk RAID 10 in the 5304 and copy the data back from the 2 single disks from the old RAID 0
4) Create whatever configuration of the old disks that I want in the 6004, possibly copying back data once more for backup.
Last edited by helgrimm on Sun May 08, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AS5304T + AS6004U + 4 x SEAGATE EXOS 16TB + 2 x SEAGATE IRONWOLF 8TB + 2 x WD 4TB
Nazar78

Re: Migrating RAID volumes

Post by Nazar78 »

What about putting the RAID0 and RAID1 into the 6604, create RAID10 with the 4 new disks in the 5304, copy the data from 6604 to 5304? I don't have the 6004 but if you're comfortable with command lines, you can assemble any array from any disks be it internal or external.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
helgrimm

Post by helgrimm »

Hi Nazar78

I want to do exactly what you describe. But the arrays are not recognized when I put them in the 6004, and recreating something on those disks will delete the data.

I don't understand your comment about command lines.

Thanks!
AS5304T + AS6004U + 4 x SEAGATE EXOS 16TB + 2 x SEAGATE IRONWOLF 8TB + 2 x WD 4TB
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Don't put the RAID1 and RAID0 in the 6004 but in the 6604 instead. Make sure both 5304 and 6604 is on the latest firmware. I have only one Asustor NAS but by Asustor logic, you should be able to move the disks from one NAS to another. The command lines are all about using shell commands via SSH which you can manipulate and do something advanced, also not officially supported by Asustor and may void warranty. So you need to be comfortable with Linux. I.e. to view the current array: cat /proc/mdstat. To assemble specific array from a 4 disks RAID slots 1-4 of its 4th partitions: mdadm -A /dev/md1 /dev/sd[a-d]4. The mount the array so you can access the data: mkdir -p /mnt/data && mount /dev/md1 /mnt/data. Some details here https://linux.die.net/man/8/mdadm.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
helgrimm

Post by helgrimm »

Thanks Nazar

There are no 3 units here just a 5304T and a 6004U extension cabinet. Apologies if I've written the number wrong in places.

I'm not inclined to mess about with my data by hacking the unit. Asustor clearly states that moving raid arrays to new units is a breeze.

If I've gotten that wrong, I'd much rather just take the time and copy all the data back and forth between single disks until the new configuration is in place.

I'm just a bit stupefied that this caused a problem at all. It's the same controller that doesn't recognize its "own" raid arrays when they're moved to the 6004.

regards
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

No problem. You can ask someone knowledgeable about Linux, who can have a remote session with you helping with assembling the array and moving your data across volumes. It's actually quite straight forward if you know the basics. Or you could contact Asustor Support. https://support.asustor.com
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

helgrimm

Post by helgrimm »

Nazar78 wrote:No problem. You can ask someone knowledgeable about Linux, who can have a remote session with you helping with assembling the array and moving your data across volumes. Or you could contact Asustor Support. https://support.asustor.com
Thanks Nazar - I've created a ticket even before using this forum but I'm impatient because I had other expectations. Asustor support can last several days in my experience. The remote session option is not for me.

I've started copying data to single drives instead and then the thought hits me - I'm not even sure I can move single disks between units without having to initialize them and lose data. I'd better take great care before I delete anything.

Regards
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Asustor claimed you can move disks between NAS but not anywhere they mentioned external expansions. Since you're online, are you available now? I'll be free for the next 2-3hrs before bedtime. Let's have a quick remote session where I can help assemble then it's up to you to copy over the data. Put in the four new disks in the 5304 then create the RAID10. Don't have to wait for the resync to complete, put in the RAID0 and RAID1 into the 6004 then connect to the 5304. Then let's use AnyDesk or whatever to chat, PM me your ID.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

helgrimm

Post by helgrimm »

Nazar78 wrote:Asustor claimed you can move disks between NAS but not anywhere they mentioned external expansions. Since you're online, are you available now? I'll be free for the next 2-3hrs before bedtime. Let's have a quick remote session where I can help assemble then it's up to you to copy over the data. Put in the four new disks in the 5304 then create the RAID10. Don't have to wait for the resync to complete, put in the RAID0 and RAID1 into the 6004 then connect to the 5304. Then let's use AnyDesk or whatever to chat, PM me your ID.
Such an offer! That's very kind of you.

I'm sure you know what you're doing, but it's my data at risk. So thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather take my time as it's my experience that rash decisions and data integrity go badly together.

I'll wait for Asustor to respond. It's not like I'm lacking any functionality as the existing raids are up and running.

Regards
helgrimm

Post by helgrimm »

Nazar78 wrote:Asustor claimed you can move disks between NAS but not anywhere they mentioned external expansions.
I considered that, but still: The raid already running on the 6004 is created and maintained by the 5304, so it seems likely that it would be included.

Return to “NAS Utilities”