failure JBOD

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.
infopath
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

failure JBOD

Post by infopath »

Hello
I'm not sure about JBOD
If I create a 3x 8TB drive with JBOD, and one of those disks fails, do I lose all data on all 3 disks, or only on the failed disk?
father.mande

Re: failure JBOD

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
infopath wrote:Hello
I'm not sure about JBOD
If I create a 3x 8TB drive with JBOD, and one of those disks fails, do I lose all data on all 3 disks, or only on the failed disk?
Normally NO, you don't lost all data, but recovery can be small or hard and long in all case..
If you lost first disk (of the JBOD) identifiable by superblock number ... you lost partition table ... so it's longer (if you know how)
For each disk, file are in a unique disk, so a tool like photorec, testdisk, mondo rescue, etc. etc. or any recover tool can recover lot of files (if no rewrite on).

after you need to rebuild all, so if you have backup you can directly restart from scratch .

JBOD have a unique advantage is to see disks with different size ... as a unique one ... no more
JBOD and Raid0 are really dangerous to safe your data ... even loosing available space other Raid are more useful and can lost one or two disk with a (relatively) easy integrated rebuild

If you don't have backup ... have time (lot of time) to recover files ... and if possible use a system with large memory and high CPU to don't lost enormous time, doing this on NAS is just a funny idea.
NB I don't speak about the price for professional recovery services ... generally for a good result but expensive.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “NAS Utilities”