USB IP Printer woes

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

MadDogDean
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

USB IP Printer woes

Post by MadDogDean »

I've run into the same problem as someone previously reported. Unfortunately tech support couldn't resolve it yet. They suggested I lower the SMB to SMB1. I tried this but it didn't make any change - but due to security issues, I went back to SMB2.

I did, however, notice that the USB/IP VHCI driver in Device Manager has a yellow exclamation. It says the driver isn't signed.

I updated my ticket on this and hopefully tech support comes back with something.
Attachments
USB IP driver.jpg
USB IP driver.jpg (314.24 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
MadDogDean

Re: USB IP Printer woes

Post by MadDogDean »

A little deeper digging into this. It appears that the USB IP driver used by Asustor is NOT Microsoft digitally signed. The driver isn't signed, so the driver doesn't load.

It looks like this USB over IP is based on The USB/IP Project. The Sourceforge version looks pretty old and not much maintained, last updates near 2017.
If you fiddle with the Asustor driver and replace the USB/IP VHCI driver with the one from the Sourceforge project, the NAS is able to see and connect to the printer. But that was as far as I got. After that there was no printing, no polling the printer, no scanning.

I think this portion of Asustor Utilities needs a rethink by Asustor. Although the VirtualHere license is $50, I was able to connect to the printer, print and scan - all within a few minutes of installing it. That speaks for something!

Link to the USB/IP Project
https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbip/

Cheers and good luck to whomever gets this thing working...

Return to “NAS Utilities”